Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Solving my ride problems..

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Solving my ride problems..

When I bought my car, It had the KYB adjustable and some Vogtland springs. The ride was horrendus. It was bouncy, the car was way to low and it was simply unlivable. I replaced the Vogtland springs with Strano springs and the bounciness went away, but the car rides so harsh now. The height is much better and the stance is great. But I want this car to ride better, and I am pretty sure that the KYB's are to blame. I'm looking at both the Koni's and the revalved Bilsteins. Will either of these options give me the more comfortable ride, and which would be better? Im not looking for something that is going to make my car an autocross machine or anything of the sort. Im simply looking for a better ride.

Also, ever since I had the 12-bolt installed, the car went from no squeaks, to a horrible one that I cannot track down, everything is tight, was curious if there was something common I might be overlooking? Thanks.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ezzlez28
When I bought my car, It had the KYB adjustable and some Vogtland springs. The ride was horrendus. It was bouncy, the car was way to low and it was simply unlivable. I replaced the Vogtland springs with Strano springs and the bounciness went away, but the car rides so harsh now. The height is much better and the stance is great. But I want this car to ride better, and I am pretty sure that the KYB's are to blame. I'm looking at both the Koni's and the revalved Bilsteins. Will either of these options give me the more comfortable ride, and which would be better? Im not looking for something that is going to make my car an autocross machine or anything of the sort. Im simply looking for a better ride.

Also, ever since I had the 12-bolt installed, the car went from no squeaks, to a horrible one that I cannot track down, everything is tight, was curious if there was something common I might be overlooking? Thanks.
If you want the kind of ride I think you are wanting I would advise ditching the springs, and putting in stock springs on the lower perch of some Koni SAs. (This should lower you 3/4" over stock which would still give you the look of a lowering spring). Bottom line is that even with a great shock like Koni the car is still going to ride like a sports car. I have the Koni SAs on stock springs at stock height right now and the ride is very firm but compliant. I don't know how much of a "better ride" you are talking about but if you are looking for something really smooth you have the wrong car.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

I'm not looking for a Cadillac ride, my buddy's SS has Qa1 coilovers and it rides way better than mine. I suppose ditching the lowering springs may be the way to go..
Old 07-16-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ezzlez28
I'm not looking for a Cadillac ride, my buddy's SS has Qa1 coilovers and it rides way better than mine. I suppose ditching the lowering springs may be the way to go..
If that is what you are expecting I would recommend the Konis. KYBs are very hit or miss from what I've seen on here.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Um... You say KYB Adjustables. AGX's or Gas-a-just? The latter are not adjustable and suck. IF AGX's where are they set? Give me something to go on.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-16-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Um... You say KYB Adjustables. AGX's or Gas-a-just? The latter are not adjustable and suck. IF AGX's where are they set? Give me something to go on.
His sig says AGXs. I guess the question is where they are set....
Old 07-16-2009, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

I think 3 in the front and 5 in the back? or vice versa, id have to double check. I've tried most of the settings, and see little to no change. They might just be blown out from the original Vogtland springs..

Quick Reply: Solving my ride problems..