Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Replacing brake pads on an '04 C5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing brake pads on an '04 C5?

How hard is it? Any good write-ups for the first-timer?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Easy,...like most cars.

Only remove one caliper hat, not then entire caliper if your only swapping pads. I believe its a 13mm, loosen the bottom bolt(there are two bolts) completely,...and just loosen the top one.

Use a decent sized screwdriver to pry up the caliper hat,...flip it up,... yo'll see you have access to pads. Leave the inside pad, use a C clamp or large channel locks so you can squeeze the piston back in. Remember, one side at a time.

Take out old pad once piston is evenly pressed in,... slap in new pads,...tighten everything up....there you go. I would use some anti seize on the slides, to prolong the life of the caliper.

Since you pressses in the piston, its possiblt to loose some fluid,....make sure you clean that, and add a little bit to the level mark.

should be easy
Old 07-18-2009, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, dude. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Easy,...like most cars.

Only remove one caliper hat, not then entire caliper if your only swapping pads. I believe its a 13mm, loosen the bottom bolt(there are two bolts) completely,...and just loosen the top one.

Use a decent sized screwdriver to pry up the caliper hat,...flip it up,... yo'll see you have access to pads. Leave the inside pad, use a C clamp or large channel locks so you can squeeze the piston back in. Remember, one side at a time.

Take out old pad once piston is evenly pressed in,... slap in new pads,...tighten everything up....there you go. I would use some anti seize on the slides, to prolong the life of the caliper.

Since you pressses in the piston, its possiblt to loose some fluid,....make sure you clean that, and add a little bit to the level mark.

should be easy
Old 07-19-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No problem man. After reading my post, I should have spell checked. Lol. I look like i'm writing a rap song lol.

Glad it helped, if you ever need any help with the car post up, or pm me. If I can help I will, like alot of other peoples on here. Tech is a good spot for good info, most of the time.