Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

replacing front brakes, input please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default replacing front brakes, input please!

Hello, Happy Sunday everyone.
I've had the stock 98 TA, 93,xxx miles on it now. Time to replace front rotors/pads/calipers(?). Rears still look okay. Looking for some input on what to buy. Car is going to stay stock, or relatively stock. I will probably sell it in the next year, and i'm budget-minded to an extent. Couple Questions:

-Should I replace calipers too? I'm assuming they're the original calipers. IF needed... should I stick with stockers, or consider/research upgrading to C5 if it isnt too much more $$$

-I have Earls Stainless Braided brake lines that I forgot to throw on my last TA, throw them on too while i'm there?

-Rotors... Im looking at Cryo-Stop plain or ATE... any feedback on these or other suggestions? I know ATE is a slotted rotor, but it seems that isnt an issue with ATE's because they wont wear the pads...

-Pads: I want decent stopping, lower noise, and low dust... am i on drugs with those wants? The car is my DD for now, and like i said, i will likely sell it in the next year or so... what do you suggest?

thanks for reading the essay, and I appreciate your feedback!
-Charlie
Old 07-19-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your calipers should be alright, so id just go with rotors, and pads.

I installed Sams BP1 brake kit(With the ATE rotors) on our 00 WS.6 a while back, and LOVE it! The car stops very well and the rotors still look great. I dont have any recent pics on this comp, but heres one of the rotors installed:
Old 07-19-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

If there's nothing wrong with the calipers I would just leave them. Plus you said you're going to sell the car so I wouldn't bother unless they're broken. I've got some ceramic pads on my ws6 and they've treated me good with low dust and no noise at all (yet).
Old 07-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Akebono brake pads..... Best i ever used......... No noise..... no dust. Excellent stopping power
CALIPERS SHOULD BE FINE AS LONG AS THE PISTON RETRACTS SMOOTHLY.......

Quick Reply: replacing front brakes, input please!