Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Leaking axleshaft. Moser 9", Common?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaking axleshaft. Moser 9", Common?

Has anyone else had this problem? The inner wheel was just covered in gear oil. I just pulled the shaft and the old seal. The passenger side is fine, not a drop of oil. I RTV around the seal and installed it. I also cant find the part number to that seal anywhere. Ill call EPP tomorrow. Is this problem common? Any trick to it not ever leaking again? Im going to hope the bearing itself is fine. It was making no noise and the wheel turned easily. What to all you Moser 9" guys do to make sure they dont leak? Or should I do it like I did last time? 1 out of 2 seals aint all that bad right?
Old 07-26-2009, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was just covered a couple weeks ago. There are part numbers for bearings and seals in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...king-axle.html

Mike
Old 07-26-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
This was just covered a couple weeks ago. There are part numbers for bearings and seals in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...king-axle.html

Mike
Man, I searched all day yesterday. Must have skipped over this. Thank you.

So All I need is that 15142 seal. I did not put any RTV on the BEARING, just on that oil seal. So, put RTV on the bearing race and the inner seal correct?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi-Po
Man, I searched all day yesterday. Must have skipped over this. Thank you.

So All I need is that 15142 seal. I did not put any RTV on the BEARING, just on that oil seal. So, put RTV on the bearing race and the inner seal correct?
Depends what kind of bearing you're using. Some have an o-ring so RTV is kind of redundant. If it doesn't have an o-ring, then apply RTV where the bearing makes contact with the housing end.

Mike