Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Basic design questions for a 6.0 turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Basic design questions for a 6.0 turbo build

I have a few basic questions for installing a turbo 6.0 LS in my '69 Nova. My goal is a pumpgas "streetable" car that can run 6.0 1/8 mile times. It currently runs 6.4 @ 110 mph with a pumpgas nitrous 406 SBC / TH-400 at 3570 lbs.

I know that all these questions have obvious answers (go big or stay home), but please consider the cost vs benefit in making your suggestions.
1. Stock crank or aftermarket 4.00"? Is a boosted 408 going to be more street friendly than a boosted 370 at similiar power levels? I am thinking about spool time, low end torque, off boost performance. Since I am going to buy new rods/pistons it would only be the cost of a new crank.
2. Truck manifolds or tube headers? Can the truck manifolds support the power level I am shooting for (roughly 800 rwhp)? Is it easier to package with one or the other? The LS turbo headers from Stainless Works look like a budget alternative if they work in a Nova...
3. Single vs twins? I am currently planning on a single turbo. With a 9:1 ratio 370 or 408 and a single (T76 - T88 depending on engine size), will it have decent low rpm manners? Is there enough benefit from quick spool twins to justify the added expense?
4. What style intercooler? Is an air/air adequate for my goals? Where is the point that an air/air IC should be upgraded to air/water? Is an air/water system street friendly? I do not want to replace my passenger seat with a heat exchanger.

I'm in the process of picking up a used 6.0 engine now, and I'll build it before tackling the turbo side. By the way, does anyone want to buy a Dart SBC block? I am abandoning the big inch SBC build since I just can't shake the LS bug.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. for a 408 you will have to get a aftermarket crank, the stock crank is not 4.00. 370ci you can use the stock crank which is very strong.
2. Truck manafolds guys here are running in the 7's, over 1k hp and then some so you really dont have to use headers but with the truck manifolds you will losse stuff like a/c and relocating your alternator.
3. I would stick with a single turbo due to the cost factor of 2 turbos ,2 wastegates and so on. you will have good low rpm manners.
4. air/air is good for what your looking for. as far as when should you upgrade to a air/water hummm, that is a very wide question and you will get a lot of different answers.
ps. I would do like 8.5:1 compression. Also i would look at different guys combos on here and what type of times they are running like i did. Look for proven combos. Good luck
Old 07-29-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering your goals and the car in question I think you will meet your goals reliably with a basic set-up with quality parts.

1) Stock Crank 370
2) Truck Manifolds
3) Properly Sized Single
4) A2A
Old 07-29-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Fitting an A2A in a nova like this is a pain. Im going to run twins and each is going to have a separate intercooler. I cut the radiator support out and angled the radiator. My old setup I made the intercooler with angled end tanks to contour to the radiator. This new setup will move the radiator forward a little to fit each intercooler inside and on each side of the radiator. End to end all 3 (rad. & coolers) are 1 inch longer than the room i have....damn it. They fit all the way snug to the fender and I will cut out most the radiator support for air flow. This is as far as I got on this project....Ive been working on my Transam.

Old set up with a single. There is not much room under the hood.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2251820

Some pics of ther intercooler for a single.

Quick Reply: Basic design questions for a 6.0 turbo build