What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

99 Black T/A M6 with 119k miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Black T/A M6 with 119k miles

Alright, so I am the second owner of this car. I purchased it from the original owner last March, he bought it new off the lot in 1999 and put 111,XXX miles on it. He was about 50 years old and had been teaching an automechanics class at a technical school nearby to where he lived.

Ever since then i have only put 8000 miles on it, in about 1 1/2 years.

Mostly, I drove it to school and back, with the occasional joy drives with a few friends up to harriman state park. There are a lot of fun roads up there.

For the miles the car seems to be in great shape. The paint on the front bumper is fading a bit, probably the clear coat. Also, there have been a few rock chips in the hood over the past 10 years of its life, as expected.

When I got the car, it had a few large cracks in the doors, with paint chipping out and all. 2 on the passenger side, about 4 inches long. seems as if a passenger opened the door hard into a solid corner and it just cracked a bit. I'm sure you could find a few noticeable scratches around the car, from whatever the road had thrown at it, and whatever neighborhood kids mightve fallen off the GODDAMN bikes and had douchebag parents who i didnt want to deal with. anyways, the rear bumper also could use a damn good polishing.

However, I am going to fully detail the car before putting it on the market. Hopefully effectively getting rid of all the swirls and a few scratches maybe, i'm going to fully polish and clay the car and have it cleaned completely. Inside and out.

I bought it with 30% tints all around, but I had the sides removed because of tickets., now there is only the back.

Also, he listed the only modification done to the car was "it was chipped" certainly feels quick. But I realized when i took a look at it that it has a flowmaster muffler, I'm assuming its the full catback. Also, it has nice 3 inch chrome tips coming out the back. it sounds VERY good, extremeley crisp and bassy. there is ABSOLUTELY no cracking. even though i planned to get a cutout on it, to really give it some roar.

It has 16 inch chrome rims, i think they are very tasteful, but i wouldve gotten larger if it were up to me. And brand new continental sport tires with about 1500 miles on them. they are all seasons, but have great traction.

He changed the oil every 3000 miles and i kept up the same tradition.

Since I've had the car, i did a few of the free mods and then went ahead to put on an ls6 intake manifold with the hopes of putting a cam in the car in the future.

The interior is leather and is in GREAT condition, like amazing, you wouldnt think it had over 30,000 miles on it. AC blows COLD!

My dad brought it to the dealership at about 112,000 miles and got a new clutch and flywheel. (i wanted aftermarket but he got OEM stock parts). and new rotors all around.

I also painted the calipers red myself, they are very noticeable and I love it.

I just recently had the sound system upgraded. all the work done by a local sound shop that i made very good friends with as he worked on my car, great guy and amazing work. I bought a the best sound package from Kee Audio (Kee is a pleasure to deal with!) and went further ahead to replace the sailpanel subs with something with a bit more kick (still 6 inchers though) and it is all powered by my pheonix gold 1000 4 channel amp. and has a pretty decent kenwood headunit. It all sounds crisp as hell, not super bassy at all, i was never into that.

besides that the car stayed stock, it had enough pull for me. got me into enough trouble as it is and the engine seems clean as hell, it wasnt driven in any snow, and i tried to keep it outta the rain, but the garage wasnt ALWAYS available. but the original owner did keep it garaged, it was his toy car.

I always, ALWAYS let the car warm up for at least 10 minutes before moving it. religiously.

some people may find the pulley noise from the front a bit annoying, you cant hear it from inside the car, but everyonce in a while you get a squeek going on for a bit outside, usually just on warm up. brought it to my mechanic, my dads friend. he said its absolutely no problem, its just the serpentine belt, its not effecting anything, about a $50 part. it'll just get rid of the noise, there is nothing wrong with it.

the only terrible flaw is a drivetrain noise, my mechanic says it shouldnt effect anything, but i found it to be quite an annoyance. people on the forums seems to refer to it as "gear whine" it seems to be coming from the rear of the car, the differential actually. not bad from a start and cruising through town. but on the highway, you can definitely hear it. good thing the exhaust note is there to calm it down

Overall, if i was to judge the car, I'd give the interior a 9/10 and the exterior 7/10

ill be bringing it in soon for my last full fluid/tune-up at the shop. hoping to get rid of this by 2010

Tell me what you all think, I was gonna start it at $7,500 OBO
Old 08-02-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

One of the nicest write-ups posted here in describing a car. I just had to comment as it all seemed so heart felt. I was smiling as I read it. The $7500 OBO is sounding like a possibility but probably too high. You can start there anyway and adjust downward later. The only thing that stuck out as NO WAY is your rating of 9 on the interior. My car with 15,000 miles is a 9 and I consider it 'showroom'. A car with over 100k is not even remotely possible. Be honest with that rating just like the rest of your description. Normal wear and tear on a 100k car brings it down to a 6 or less in most instances. It would be a very rare car that could claim a 7 with that mileage on it, maybe a highway car with very little getting in and out, no passengers, pets, kids, etc... How have you avoided the door panel cracks? Your exterior rating is probably too high as well with what you have described. Good luck!

Last edited by NC01TA; 08-02-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
One of the nicest write-ups posted here in describing a car. I just had to comment as it all seemed so heart felt. I was smiling as I read it. The $7500 OBO is sounding like a possibility but probably too high. You can start there anyway and adjust downward later. The only thing that stuck out as NO WAY is your rating of 9 on the interior. My car with 15,000 miles is a 9 and I consider it 'showroom'. A car with over 100k is not even remotely possible. Be honest with that rating just like the rest of your description. Normal wear and tear on a 100k car brings it down to a 6 or less in most instances. It would be a very rare car that could claim a 7 with that mileage on it, maybe a highway car with very little getting in and out, no passengers, pets, kids, etc... How have you avoided the door panel cracks? Your exterior rating is probably too high as well with what you have described. Good luck!
Oh, wow. haha

Sorry, I was kind of judging it with the fact that it is a 119,XXX mile car in mind.

If I were to judge it as a showroom car, I wouldn't give it any higher than a 6/10 for either the exterior or interior.

But yeah, I just had it completely detailed, the works. Full wash, clean detailed, clayed, polished/compounded, and waxed. Wheels were done seperately and individually, I used restoration products on all of the rubber and plastic pieces. Vacumed, Cleaned/shined the interior. It's looking A LOT better, but the paint didnt come back as deep as I was hoping.

And no, I couldnt manage to avoid a door panel crack :/

Tires just rotated and Oil changed, Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, every 3000 miles on the dot.

I got the signs today, I think I'm going to start it at 7,200 OBO. I'm gonna post it in these forums. PM me!

-Dan