Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do i need my 02 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i need my 02 sensors?

I have a 99 formula with stock manifolds and a flowmaster muffler. I don't intend on getting headers, so i was going to remove all the cats and increase the stock Y-pipe to a 3inch Y-pipe, then dump the pipe before the rear tires. (still haven't decided if i should dump it through a muffler yet)

If i remove the cats, especially the one by the driver side door, what do i do with the 02's? Is the car going to be screwed up?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

You have to keep the o2's that are infront of the cats closest to the engine. The rears can be removed, but the ses light will be set until you get the codes tuned out. The fronts control part throttle fueling in closed loop, the rears monitor catylast efficiency.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
You have to keep the o2's that are infront of the cats closest to the engine. The rears can be removed, but the ses light will be set until you get the codes tuned out. The fronts control part throttle fueling in closed loop, the rears monitor catylast efficiency.
Alright, so do you think i'll make a decent power gain by gutting the cat closest to the engine and keeping the 02, then replacing the stock Y-pipe with a bigger 3inch Y-pipe and dumping the pipe before the rear tires? Should this help HP wise?
Old 08-02-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Might as well get Long Tube headers and a ory with a tune. Imo just do it all at once, not really worth havin a higher flow y-pipe w/ stock manifolds.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Might as well get Long Tube headers and a ory with a tune. Imo just do it all at once, not really worth havin a higher flow y-pipe w/ stock manifolds.
You see, i would do that but my flowmaster is broken now. It makes a terrible noise because sh*t is rattling around. So, i need something for temporary...