Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS/Traction Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ABS/Traction Control Problems

My ABS Inop, Brake, and ASR Off lights come on intermittently. Sometimes they will come on as soon as I start the car, sometimes they don't come on at all, and sometimes they come on after I have been driving for a while.

I got some codes and posted them up in another thread, but so far no one has responded to that thread.

The previous owner told me they thought a wheel sensor could be to blame for the lights, but I don't know. Has anyone else had this happen to them and if so how did you go about fixing it?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I 'm battling the same issue but I ended accidently cutting the ABS wire in the wiring harness. Yours sounds like a wheel sensor. If you know someone who has a scan2 you could probably pinpoint what sensor. You should have a sensor at each wheel. Make sure they are all plugged in. To replace the wheel sensor you also have to replace the hub look at spending 400.00 if you get the part from the dealer. But definantly scan it first and find out what the codes are. Hope that helps
Old 08-05-2009, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

When I had my car tuned they gave me a scan report and I didn't get a code that said it was a wheel sensor. Here are the ABS/Traction Control codes that I got:

"Traction Control System (TCS) or Electronic Brake Control Module
(EBCM)"
C0896 "Device Voltage Range/Performance" H ($28) "Traction
Control System (TCS) or Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)"
U1000 "Class 2 Data Link" H ($28) "Traction Control System
(TCS) or Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)"
U1016 "Lost Class 2 Communications With Engine Controller - Device
$10" H ($58) "Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic
Module (SDM)"
U1040 "Lost Class 2 Communications With Brake/Traction Controller -
Device $28" H ($58) "Inflatable Restraint Sensing and
Diagnostic Module (SDM)"
U1016 "Lost Class 2 Communications With Engine Controller - Device
$10" H ($60) "Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)"
U1040 "Lost Class 2 Communications With Brake/Traction Controller -
Device $28" H ($60) "Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)"

Don't know if they make any sense to you or not, but they don't seem very straightforward like an engine code is.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had pretty much the same problem as you, the lights would be on randomly some times and wouldn't come on other times so I took it to the dealer today and they said if was the control module going out and to fix it would be $950 so I'm not fixing it because its not worth it imo for something that I've never had to use people. Your regular brakes will be just fine, you just don't have ABS when those lights are on. If you've got the $1000 to fix it go ahead, but I don't have the money to do it right now haha.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem for probably a year, lights randomly coming on, sometimes not. Here is why you should fix it. I was just driving to work, going faster than I should (who doesn't). This was at night, the road three lanes wide somebody makes a left onto the road and comes all the way over to the right lane (where I was). I braked hard, spun the car and took it off the road backward (then spun another 180). Looking at the skid marks I think I locked the back brakes but not the front. Then abruptly swapped ends. This was on dry pavement, maybe doing 85. I did not hit the guy and of course he kept going. I bent a wheel and put a dent under the passenger door but came out pretty good considering.

So I say fix it. I think my headers may be melting my wire to the front right sensor. I am going to replace the wire and see it that fixes it.

Quick Reply: ABS/Traction Control Problems