Any members in health insurance/hospital claims please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any members in health insurance/hospital claims please help!

Ok guys I have a bit of a problem. Here's the deal :

A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. A couple month's back I had a serious flare up and went to North Central Baptist Hospital, and spent 5 days there. Bill has come to $29000. I do not have even close to this kind of money. I do have insurance, but they are telling me that the insurance that I had prior to them is not considered "credible coverage" and won't cover me under a pre existing limitation clause. Me and my company are fighting with their claims department trying to get it covered but it looks like I'm probably going to lose this one.

What I'm trying to figure out is, I know many people that have settled on medical debt before. How low can I legally go to get them to settle this debt? It was a great hospital and I do want pay them, just not that much. What are my options?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Nick
Old 08-04-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Id start with half. But I'm sure they'll want payment now. Atleast they do that for having babies.. Its called a cash settlement or Cash payment. Something like that..
Old 08-04-2009, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Well my girlfriend works at christus and she said to talk to the financial counselor of the hospital. Explain the situation, and inform them of the pre existing clause of your insurance which they are using as non payment for the claim. Find out what your options are, whether you can set up a payment plan, fill out a charity application, or settle for 1 lump sum. Many times they will give you a big discount if you can pay 1 lump sum and get it over with. You can pm me for more information, I would be glad to help
Old 08-04-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. I'll definitely be exploring my options with financial counselor on my next day off. It's just shitty that my new insurance won't take the old insurance that I had as "credible coverage" even though I'm with same company, just crossed over from hourly to salary.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

i think you will be able to meet halfway with them. i had something similar happen to me and it ended up totalling 48000$ . we ended up working out a settlement and i payed it in 3 big payments. was much better than ever having to deal with a collector and having it show up on my credit.