Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

HUD flickers and cuts out. help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HUD flickers and cuts out. help.

I have a 03 Z with 10K miles and the HUD flickers pretty badly when i first start the car and seems to either improve or deteriorate as i drive the car depending on the day. if i mess with that dimmer switch sometimes that will help, others not so much. if i dim it down low.. that will last a maximum of 5 minutes then its back to full 100 percent brightness. so.. it could be a bad dimmer switch but i dno. anybody had similar problems? The damn steering wheel locked and im waiting on my bypass to show up so my steering column is already tore down partially. (i got it unlocked with my dead blow hammer for now). i was told by a friend that he thought hte HUD plug didnt even hav ea clip on it, so maybe the plug could have vibrated loose. i dno. like i said im looking for advice.

*i already did the chassis ground cleaning on the two behind the headlights. they were clean to begin with.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hadn't had a hud issue like that,..mine just over adjusted itself, and got stuck in a weird spot. Ended up replacing the hud. If you hadn't mentioned your dimmer switch, I would have said a bad connection or a bad hud itself. Very possible the switch. Since you've got nothing to loose but time, remove the switch, and take it apart, gently,clean it, and maybe try some dielectric grease. May, or may not work. Or you can always ohm the wires.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds reasonable enough. ill have to pull the switch and see how far i get. taking things apart and putting them back together is my specialty. if i had a dollar for everytime my freakin dad pulled something broke off the side of the road, fixed it and sold it/used it.. id be almost as well off as him lol, but have way less crap laying around
Old 08-14-2009, 01:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend with an '03 Z who fixed his when it was doing the same thing yours is. He pulled it out and touched up the solder joints on the board. One was evidently cold. That fixed it.

Quick Reply: HUD flickers and cuts out. help.