Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lsx? miata help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lsx? miata help

Alright I am doing a ls motor based miata and I was hoping someone on here could help me make up my mind. At first I was going to pull the motor from my 99 Z28 but I have decided not to as I am wanting something with more power. The motor is a forged ls1 with heads cam and spray. Now what I am asking is any ideas for what motor I should build for this car. There are a few people that I want to be able to hang with in my area. There is a camaro that runs in the high nines, A mustang that runs about 9 flat, and a trans am that runs about 8 flat! Now the car stock weighs a little over 2100#'s. I am going to do everything to make it as light as possible. This car in no way is going to be a daily driver. But anyways I need your input on this as I cant make up my mind.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yah, use a better platform for drag racing. Miata isn't it. Miata's are great street/road course cars, but the short wheel base & limited rear tire size without major modification, make them poor drag cars. Fastest known Miata w/ major mod's. is in the 10's. I'd go w/ the longest wheel based, light weight car I could find as a drag racing platform. Good-luck.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

ok I might do that but I already have a miata and the ls install kit. Is the problem getting it to hook? I dont mind using big slicks or putting a solid axle in it. I was thinking about doing a fender flare and trying to get a huge amount of rubber under it or even tubbing it out. I just want something unique that will be a good sleeper that nobody will see coming.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by douwannarace
ok I might do that but I already have a miata and the ls install kit. Is the problem getting it to hook? I dont mind using big slicks or putting a solid axle in it. I was thinking about doing a fender flare and trying to get a huge amount of rubber under it or even tubbing it out. I just want something unique that will be a good sleeper that nobody will see coming.

Go for it. I'm all for making a car what you want it to be. Just wanted to let you know that they are close to the worst platform for a drag car. Some tracks might even measure your wheel base & kick you out if it's less than 90" front to rear. So pay close attention to where the wheel base ends up. A straight axle & tubbing into the trunk &/or flares is a good idea. Keep us posted on the build.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:27 AM
Staging Lane

ok i will do its going to be kinda slow as money is a little more tight these days with me. I think I am going to go with an ls3 block. I have always wanted a great handling street car so its still possible to go that direction instead of a straight line car.

Quick Reply: lsx? miata help