General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

hvac fans??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hvac fans??

I posted over on tbssowners.com but I'm not getting much help so I'll try here. On my TBSS the fans (ac/heater fans) just stopped working out of nowhere the other day. I drove it to work in the morning and worked fine. I drove it to lunch and they still worked fine, but when I got in to go back to work all of sudden the fans wouldn't come on....

I don't know why they all of a sudden quit working. I've checked all the fuses and they look brand new. The a/c is working just the fans aren't blowing and I don't have any ideas.

What do you think??

Tyler
Old 08-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Try the fans at all speeds on all HVAC settings. (AC, Heat, Vent, Defrost, etc.) The HVAC selector may have a kink on one setting and not others.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Launching!

I've tried that to, no go. I have no idea why they won't kick on.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intermittent issues are the hardest to diagnose IMO. Could be a bad connection or a dying blower motor, I would say. I don't believe these cars use a relay so it wouldn't be that, and I don't think it's the resistor block since if that fried, the issue wouldn't be intermittent - unless it's a bad connection there. (A bad connection can be pretty much anywhere, though.)
Old 08-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Could be, it's just frustrating because one minute it's working and the next, nothing. And it hasn't worked since they stopped the other day. I don't want to take it to get fixed but I may have to since I really don't have the time to do it.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tkimrey
Could be, it's just frustrating because one minute it's working and the next, nothing. And it hasn't worked since they stopped the other day. I don't want to take it to get fixed but I may have to since I really don't have the time to do it.
are you talking about the blower motor in the airbox right?

if so do this if you haven't already.

get under the dash and either pull out the blower motor or just unhook the connector. if you can reach and see the connector don't worry about pulling out the motor yet.

what you wanna do is gain access to the blower leads. the attach a "rouch clip" wire(you can get them at RadioShack) and the put the leads to a 12V battery. if the motor works them its not the problem. if not well then you know it has to be replaced.

if it does work the you need a volt meter or test light. attach that to the connector of the wiring harness and turn the blower onto high. if you don't have power you need to trace the harness back to the switch and see if you have power there. maybe you need and new switch.

hope this helped.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Launching!

When I get some time I'll give it a try, thanks guys!