Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No power, car shut down

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power, car shut down

Alright, so i just had my motor mounts replaced yesterday and I'm thinking maybe they unplugged something, or something came undone maybe?

Anyway, i was driving my car home tonight and i noticed the air was blowing a little hot...That was weird, but i figured I'll look at it tomorrow..Then, i noticed the lights looked very dim. (odd) Then, my radio suddenly turned off and the lights got dimmer. At this point, i realize the car is not getting power and the damn thing is probably going to turn off. The lights kept getting dimmer and dimmer and just as i pulled up to my house the car started bogging like it was about to turn off. I turned off the lights and shut the car off, and my lights stayed up. I guess the car didn't have enough power to turn the lights down...

Anyway, what's the deal here? What can cause this to happen, or what should i look at tomorrow to get my car running again? Could something have came loose? I find it hard to believe ironically after i get my car back from the mechanic it's doing this...

What should i do or check?

Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the alternator is taking a dump. If the car will start check the battery with a ohm meter to see if your getting a 14V charge (while running)
Old 08-16-2009, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Really? Suddenly? After no signs before? Are they easy to change?

Anything else i could check?
Old 08-16-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WhiteLS1Formula
Really? Suddenly? After no signs before? Are they easy to change?

Anything else i could check?
I have had a few cars that did the same thing you described all the lights dim and then the car runs like **** because all the sensors are loosing volts. The alternator is not producing volts and the car will run off the battery untill it dies. Will the car start or is the battery dead?
Old 08-16-2009, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

I haven't tried to start it yet. It's late, but i'll try in the morning. The car was starting to bog, so i highly doubt if it's going to start...

What are my options if it starts, oppose to it not starting? Does this mean the difference between it being the battery or alternator?

Whatever the situation may be, I'll need to most likely do the work myself. So, is their a guide i can follow to removing the alternator? (In case this is the problem) I've never done it before and don't know what tools to use or anything...lol, i feel stupid, but being honest.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

If it will start and run check to see if the alternator is producing 14.2 V. If it wont start try to jump it then check the voltage. Changing the alternator isn't hard in these cars, not sure if there are any write up's on this.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When the LHS motor mount was replaced, did the smaller wire to the connector on top of the alternator get broken...? That wire is the "alternator turn on" signal.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Figure any thing out ?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by joecar
When the LHS motor mount was replaced, did the smaller wire to the connector on top of the alternator get broken...? That wire is the "alternator turn on" signal.
Thats a very good question. I know when I upgraded my motor mounts to poly's, I had the alternator dissconnected to move it out of the way. The connector into the top of it has just one small wire. It wouldn't take too much to break it. With the install of the new mounts being so recent, that would be the first place I would look. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

I got it changed...My alternator ended up being bad and i changed my battery, because it was a little old...I didn't want to have any problems...

Thanks for all the help.