Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mcleod Twind Disc HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mcleod Twin Disc HELP!!

I will start with a little background on this mess. I had a customer come in with a 2000 SS and we pulled his engine and had it rebuilt at a local machine shop. He was complaining about clutch engagement issues from the beginning. It would engage the clutch really high on the pedal and was hard to get into gear. The twin disc was installed when the car got to us. When we tore everything down the clutch looked fine. It all went back together exactly as it was removed. We were told to send the master back and got another one under warranty. Still the same issue. Customer picked up the car and just drove as is. Took it to the track and ended up having a clutch fire after a few runs. Back at the shop we pulled everything down and sent the clutch back to Mcleod where it was rebuilt and sent back. Put it all back together as it was sent to us and still same high engagement issues no matter where the MC is adjusted to. Mcleod replaced the MC again under warranty but to no avail. After talking to Fred at Mcleod it seems as though the clutch discs were swapped all along (3-4 years since initial install by someone else) and was sent back to me from Mcleod assembled incorrect. The one labeled top is the marcel disc and the one labeled bottom is the non-marcel disc. Fred at Mcleod advised me that it should be the other way around. I have swapped the clutch discs but now the clutch will not disengage. It will not let me get it in gear. I used a fiber optic camera and it seems as though the disc on the trans side (non-marcel) is releasing all the way, but the engine side (marcel) is not releasing enough. I did not mess with the shims at all and I am thinking that is the problem. The only other option is that I am not getting enough travel from the slave, but the one disc has about 1/8" on each side of the disc. I think that I need to ad more shims between the flywheel and the floater plate so it will have more clearance with the pedal pushed down. Does anyone know how to set up this clutch properly and what clearances I need when I am assembling it. I want this car out of my shop! Thanks for the help.

Last edited by muddyjimmy; 08-20-2009 at 08:36 PM. Reason: typing
Old 08-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nevermind. After removing it and trying about 5 different set-ups I replaced it with a single disc clutch. Works great now.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just about to say; how many times before u guys put in a different clutch?
Thing sounds like a damn nightmare!

Quick Reply: Mcleod Twind Disc HELP!!