Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installing Koni 4/4 and Strano Springs, Have a small problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Installing Koni 4/4 and Strano Springs, Have a small problem

I'm in the process of installing my new Koni 4/4's and Strano springs
The rears were very easy and the fronts shock/spring setup came out easy as well.

The problem I have is the top shock retaining nut on my stock shocks is extremely rusty on both the drivers and passengers side. The car has about 94K on it and I have never seen any rust from any component before so I was a little surprised. I stood up both stock shock/springs and allowed the nut to soak with PB blaster for about 6 hours as I did some other maintenance on the car.

I used my rented Auto Zone spring compressor and began compressing the less rusty unit. Once the Spring was compressed I tried to loosen the nut with a 6-point socket and it literally crumbled and rounded off. I will probably take both drivers and passengers side to a shop to be dissembled now.

My question is the rust in that area normal? I really don't want to see my Koni shocks look that way in the future. Is anybody using RTV around the mating surface of the upper control arm and body to deep moisture out?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think I ever saw a shock top nut that wasn't rusted all to hell. I've read in some other threads that people goop the whole thing up real good with anti-seize after installing the new ones to stop this from happening.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem with mine. The passenger side likes to collect water and rust the top of the shock for some reason. My driverside was completely rust free but the pass was a different story.

I tried a bunch of different things but ended up taking the whole assembly to pep-boys and they hit it with an impact gun and got it off fine.