Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild pricing - What is a good price to pay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rebuild pricing - What is a good price to pay?

I bought a 98 LS1 out of a z28 that probably has a lightly spun bearing. I am going to put the engine in to an RX7 and it will be primarily a roadcourse track day car.

I want to have the short block and heads gone through and freshened up, and intend to keep the stock rotating assembly. I will do all of the dissassembly work, but may have the machine shop reassemble the short block for me. Can you guys give me an idea of what I should be paying for the following assuming that the rod knock is only light.

My plan for the shortblock is the following:
Reuse stock rotating assembly
Have block cleaned, checked, honed etc.
New rings, and all new bearings for mains, rods, and cam
Polish stock crank
ARP rod bolts
Stock LS1 cam (maybe LS6 cam if I find a good one cheap)
LS6 ported oil pump
LS2 timing set

What should I be expecting to pay? I am thinking around $1000-$1200 including parts. Am I off base here?

The heads are 806s. My plan for the heads is a valve job, new seals and Patriot springs with Ti retainers and locks. I will probably gasket match the heads myself and give them a light smoothing. I am thinking I might be better off just buying a set of used heads that are already refurbished and ready to go. That almost seems cheaper. I see LS1 heads all the time on here with upgraded springs, fresh from the machine shop for under $400.

I suspect a valve job will run me about $75-$100 per side, plus the cost of the springs. This sounds like nearly a wash when compared to a prepped set of 241s but then I will need valve covers as well.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old 08-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Teching In

bump for knowledge!
Old 08-25-2009, 12:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds reasonable for a decent rebuild.

Shane
Old 08-25-2009, 12:57 PM
10 Second Club

I would not bother trying to gasket match the heads. That may have shown some improvement in the old SBC but will not help an LS1 head. The majority of the CNC heads people buy have very little material removed from the port opening(it's already quite large and very well matched to the intake).