Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Grinding in 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grinding in 1st gear

I have a 99 Z28 M6 that grinds in first once in a while, that is the only gear it grinds in. Also if I let the clutch out fast when its not in gear, it make like a clunk, sounds like a throwout bearing, what do you guys think? Could this also cause the grinding in first gear?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
I have a 99 Z28 M6 that grinds in first once in a while, that is the only gear it grinds in. Also if I let the clutch out fast when its not in gear, it make like a clunk, sounds like a throwout bearing, what do you guys think? Could this also cause the grinding in first gear?

Thanks

Probaly hydraulic related, yes. Could be slave/TOB or MC. It COULD be tranny related, but I doubt it...
Old 08-29-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know my last car, 3rd would grind, turned out to be tranny. I have never had a car with first grinding, normally you dont beat on that gear too much. And also with the noise in the tranny, clunk and bang when you let out the clutch not in gear, I was thinking throwout bearing. I would like to upgrade the clutch hydraulics and clutch before I go with the cam so it will need to be done anyways.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Grinding in 1st gear