Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Mounting Component Speakers up front

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mounting Component Speakers up front

I've seen where someone has mounted them in a pod right next to the side mirrors and I was wondering where that person got there's. If i was to not mount them there would they fit behind the square screen along with the other speaker in the front?
Old 11-28-2003, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

There is not much room in the square panels because the speakers aren't really centered behind the outer trim on the door panel. Tweeter sound is in a range that is easily absorbed by your legs/pants, so the tweeters shouldn't be put in the door facing each other. They should be pointed back at the driver.

I put the tweeters at the lower outside corners of the dash, pointed very slightly up and back at the driver. It sounds real good. I mean right above the hood release on the drivers side and likewise on the passenger side. There are some stock grounding bolts already under the dash, at hese corners, and I bent some aluminum bar to mount the tweeters. If you are super fussy about a stock-look this place for tweeter mounting is not for you. I mean no stock car ever had little tweeters there, but it is very functional to me so that is what matters.

Tweeters should (normally) be located within one wavelength (or less) of the crossover frequency of the mids/tweeters. That is, with a crossover at 3000 cycles/second, and dividing 1100 feet per second (the speed of sound in air) by 3000 cycles per second, gives a crossover wave length of about 4 inches, so the tweeters should be located within 4 inches of the mids. This is called phase balance I think. It makes the music sound natural instead of having the split sound of a higher soundstage with tweeters up on the dash or in the A-pillar.

Tweeters up high in pods or the dash have a high but separate soundstage that some prefer.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

PM SShevy over at www.ls1.com/forums

Last edited by firebirdude; 12-03-2003 at 01:46 PM.