Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch noise?

When moving from a stop in first gear and my foot is about 3/4 off the clutch, it makes a strange noise that sort of sounds like a bad note played on a trumpet. The car as 40k miles and the clutch is some aftermarket clutch that came with the car if any of that helps. So, has anyone else heard this and perhaps could explain it to me? Thanks.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like it might be a pilot bearing wearing out, or the clutch could be slipping a bit.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS1875
Sounds like it might be a pilot bearing wearing out, or the clutch could be slipping a bit.
I dont think the clutch is slipping but the bearing might be it. Is it hard/expensive to fix?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

Cost depends on how much you can do yourself. I had someone do it for me because of a bad back. $350 to R&R the trans, cost of the bearing, fluid, clutch bleed. My pilot bearing was dry and very brittle when they took it out. Always a good idea to change it when doing a clutch swap.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

Dependent on the clutch you have and the material that is used on its disc you may be hearing a sound that is completly normal. With carbon-semi-metallic disc materials you can hear a bit of a "squeal" or "moan" under certain conditions. This is generally most evidence when the clutch pedal is being riden during release. Often, this noise will go away as temps increase meaning that the sound will be more evident on cooler days and during the first few shifts of usage. I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 09-04-2009, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Dependent on the clutch you have and the material that is used on its disc you may be hearing a sound that is completly normal. With carbon-semi-metallic disc materials you can hear a bit of a "squeal" or "moan" under certain conditions. This is generally most evidence when the clutch pedal is being riden during release. Often, this noise will go away as temps increase meaning that the sound will be more evident on cooler days and during the first few shifts of usage. I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
That sounds like exactly right. only in first gear and only when i first start driving. thanks!
Old 09-04-2009, 12:34 PM
FormerVendor

No problem at all! I am glad I could help. Let me know if you have any further questions and have a great weekend!

Quick Reply: Clutch noise?