Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

help with Guide or slide pins

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help with Guide or slide pins

Does any one have any tips on removing the Guide or slide pins located on the front break caliper mounting bracket. I am almost done doing the front breaks. However on the passenger side I cant get the caliper to fit back on to the mounting bracket. I have new pads and new rotors and new calipers.

I believe the issue is being caused by one guide pin sticking out to far. I want to change the pins and lube them up but I can’t seem to get them out.

Thanks
Walt
Old 09-05-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They just pull out. Sounds like yours might be frozen in place.

Peel the rubber boot back and use some penetrating oil.

Layer a rag around it, and use a pair of pliers to get some grip.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
They just pull out. Sounds like yours might be frozen in place.

Peel the rubber boot back and use some penetrating oil.

Layer a rag around it, and use a pair of pliers to get some grip.
Exactly what I had to do on my passenger side front caliper. Was a HUGE PITA but finally got it out after about 30 mins.

Just make sure you use enough brake lube on the slide pins when you put them back in!
Old 09-06-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you can't get it off by using the penetrating oil, take it off the car put it in a vise and heat it up with a torch. This is how I got mine off Make sure to take some sand paper to the rust on the pin and on the inside of the slide. Blow it out real good and use plenty of grease when putting them back in.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had this problem the other day. somehow the guide pin froze with the bottom portion of the brake pad constantly applied. the car seemed a little slower - thought it was the heat/humidity. i didn't know about it until the pad had worn away and the rotor was grinding against the metal plate that the pad was glued to.

i ended up having to detach the brake caliper bracket, then unloaded half a can of pb blaster and let that seep in over 5 hours. i tried tapping it with a 3lb hammer (no help). finally i took a butane torch for 3-5min to the bracket about 1" below where the pin enters until i saw pb blaster boiling out on either side of the pin. i was then able to use locking pliers to twist the pin a few times while inching it out of the bracket.
it was hell, but it made my day when i finally got that damned pin out instead of spending $110 at the dealership for a new bracket and pin.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI ... a "loaded" reman caliper assembly from Autozone comes with bracket, pins, caliper and brake pads for under $50

Quick Reply: help with Guide or slide pins