Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thermostat question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 03:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking thermostat question

is a thermostat really necessary? correct me if im wrong but shouldn't the car run cooler without a thermostat?
Old 09-06-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Removing a thermostat can actually cause an engine to run warmer due to removing the restriction in the cooling system. The water can then flow too fast and not allow heat to properly transfer from the engine to the water and from the water to the radiator.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a bad Idea, modern day fuel injected cars really need to attain a certain degree of heat in the engine to fully complete the efficiency of the combustion cycle and operate at its full potential. Numerous different opinions on best temp for an engine to run, but usually around 180-195. as HD88 stated if you run with no thermostat, there is the possibility of the water never getting a chance to stay in the radiator long enough to transfer the heat off. Just keeps going thru the engine getting hotter and hotter, trust my My 462 in my 69 bird did exactly that.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Teching In

i have a 98 z28 and took off the thermosthat and my gauge is under the first quarter , maybe not all the motors are the same
Old 09-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by juanioz28
i have a 98 z28 and took off the thermosthat and my gauge is under the first quarter , maybe not all the motors are the same
Your engine should overheat in city driving conditions. Highway, it might do better.

The t-stat needs to open and close to allow hot coolant that just left the engine block and heads to sit in the radiator for a long enough time so it can cool down....while the cooler coolant that just went into the engien block and heads is getting heated up.

Then when the coolant inside the engine gets hot enough and causes the t-stat to open again........the coolant will trade places again....and so on and so on......

If there's no t-stat, all you have is a serious air pump and water heater on your hands...and that coolant will just keep getting hotter and hotter and never stop circulating. Its reach a point where it will get HOT quick.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:05 AM
Teching In

i guess u are right cause i havent really used my car in the city i usually drive it on the highway. how can i put the pic of my car like u guys have it