Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock rockers w/ aftermarket valvetrain...help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock rockers w/ aftermarket valvetrain...help!

Recently got 273 xer cam and cnc ls6 heads milled only .003 together in my 99 vette...Now its time for valvetrain setup...I need your guys help Running stock timing chain ,the comp cams cam,with cnc heads with aftermarket springs ,stock pushrods,7.4 length. The rockerarms are stock also. which valve adjustment do you use for this application? The standard "bring the piston to tdc on compression stroke and torque 22ftlbs both valves or do you follow the method that is detailed for aftermarket rockerarms and valvetrain? Where you get 0 valve lash,then tighten half a turn?Considering I have a mix of parts in my valvetrain I have ordered a pushrod length checker and I will use it but,any reccomendations? Proper procedure with stock non adjustable rockers...any help please ..thanx again
Old 09-07-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by blackula 99
Recently got 273 xer cam and cnc ls6 heads milled only .003 together in my 99 vette...Now its time for valvetrain setup...I need your guys help Running stock timing chain ,the comp cams cam,with cnc heads with aftermarket springs ,stock pushrods,7.4 length. The rockerarms are stock also. which valve adjustment do you use for this application? The standard "bring the piston to tdc on compression stroke and torque 22ftlbs both valves or do you follow the method that is detailed for aftermarket rockerarms and valvetrain? Where you get 0 valve lash,then tighten half a turn?Considering I have a mix of parts in my valvetrain I have ordered a pushrod length checker and I will use it but,any reccomendations? Proper procedure with stock non adjustable rockers...any help please ..thanx again
Ok the there is a lot here so;

1. Stock rockers are fine plenty of builders use stock rockers(lightest and will take a lot of punishment) with that said though if its a '99 I would think of buying like 02 or 04 rockers stock very cheap from rockauto. The reason the older the rocker the better chance u have of a needle bearing failing.

2. What lifters are you running.

3. Unless ur using stock lifters you NEED to check the rod length.

4. Once you get the correct rod length purchase it and since u haven't done it I would suggest to get some one who has have them walk you through the procedure and have them check your work.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First verify the wipe pattern. Once you are done with that and geometry is correct measure for pushrod length. Once you have pushrods in hand, here is the correct installation procedure.

Last edited by vettenuts; 09-08-2009 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely check PR length. Usually an aftermarket cam with higher lift will have a smaller base circle which would require a longer PR than stock.