Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Squeal: Wheel bearing v. Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 05:36 PM
DF
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeal: Wheel bearing v. Brakes

Ive had a squeel coming from the front right tire for the last 500 miles. Here are a few facts:

1. 120K miles on odo
2. Original brake pads/ rotors
3. Squeal on braking while in reverse or forward.
4. same squeal when accelerating and off the brake.
5. squeal when turning right and going straight or braking.
6. squeal disappears when turning left or swerving left.

Today, I lifted the front and tested the wheel bearings. I rocked the left tire left and right while pushing at at the 3 and 9 o clock positions. there was some (but very little play). this play may also be present in the right tire as well. I couldnt tell the difference in play between the right and left tire. I also pressed at the 12 and 6 o clock and it was solid, on both tires. I watched all of the youtube videos that showed worn bearings and although it was the problem, my left front tire did not wobble/wiggle like they did on you tube.

I do have 120K miles on original pads and rotors so Im due for a brake job. But except for the seemingly non wobbly tires, I was sure that it was a wheel bearing issue. why would my brakes squeel when not on the break? why would it squeel when turning right, backing up, driving forward or braking and NOT when turning left?

any thoughts?

TIA

I havent updated my sig in a while...
2000 SS
Koni SA, LG G2 Springs, STB, PHB, LCA, SFC
Old 09-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Wow 120K on the original pads! Those are some good pads you have The pads have a wear sensor on them that might be starting to touch the rotor. Not sure why you would not hear the squeal when turning left unless the pad is pulling away slightly from the rotor and thus not contacting.

Anyway checking the pads is easy to do so I would check that first.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Sounds like the bearings. My original bearings lasted only 80K miles and the symptoms were the same as you are describing. With the brakes and rotors off, I turned the bad ones by hand and it felt like a meat grinder. (Which is bad.)

The confusing part is that the squeal they make can sound just like bad brakes. (I discovered my bearing issue after I changed the pads to get rid of the squeal and it didn't do the job.)
Old 09-13-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

People describe nosies differently than others but a wheel bearing is generally going to more of a groan/hum noise. It will usually become louder as you gain speed and quiet down or get louder depending on which was you turn.

Your problem sounds more like a brake concern. With that many miles and years on the pads I would change them anyway.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:48 PM
DF
Teching In

Final update:

I went to Pepboys as they were offering a free brake check. The final verdict was that the brake pad was super thin and the "sensor" on the brake pad was touching the rotor when ever there was a change in direction/stopping/accel/ etc...

I had already planned on doing a pad change, but they also said that the rotors were below minimum thickness as well (at least up front). the rear pads are toast as well.

now I got to shop rotors and pads. thanks for everyones help!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DF
Final update:

I went to Pepboys as they were offering a free brake check. The final verdict was that the brake pad was super thin and the "sensor" on the brake pad was touching the rotor when ever there was a change in direction/stopping/accel/ etc...

I had already planned on doing a pad change, but they also said that the rotors were below minimum thickness as well (at least up front). the rear pads are toast as well.

now I got to shop rotors and pads. thanks for everyones help!
Sounds about right considering the mileage!! Typically you won't get anywhere near that many miles out of a set of pads and rotors.

Try and get some performance pads rotors instead of the stock stuff, it will cost about the same and offer much better braking and durability. A lot of people like the Hawk HPS pads with a set of good quality rotors, EBC pads are good though as well. Check out WS6Store for some prices.

Quick Reply: Squeal: Wheel bearing v. Brakes