Monster + Tick . Need Reps

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Monster + Tick . Need Reps

Monster Stage 5 - Billet flywheel

Tick Performance Master-

t-56 420 RWHP / 440RWT ( 330 RWHP @ 2000rpms ) - 3300lb car with me in it.

300 mile break in on the clutch - 1-2 turn adjustment to the Master after wearing in- got the clutch workin great.

800 Miles - 1 track pass ( drove to LA Blew the rear )

850 Miles - 1-2 turn adjustment to the Master to bring the pedal back to buttery smooth

1500 Miles - 50 miles worth of cruising with the car club - 2 races on the freeway - all is good. 3rd race, ( decided to race and shift from 2-3 , 3-4, as all the others were 3rd gear only : 29 inch tire ) Stuck in 5th gear after the run, barely get it out and down shift to 3rd and we are now stuck.

Car cools down for an hour and the shifter barley moves, The tranny feels broken in every gear except 3rd and 6th ( the 2 gears I almost never use )

2-3 turns to the Master - Clutch works great... Is my master winding out on its own, or is my Monster Finally broken in... - The issue I have partially is that the clutch started giving me problems- and the adjustment to the Master made it not only work ( at all ) but work better than before it was giving me problems, is this issue a disengagment issue that goes away ?
So again, 1 track pass , 5 street races from a 40+ roll , 1500 worth of Freeway - There is probably only 175 intown miles, the rest is freeway.

This is not a flame, this is a Public post for constructive diagnosis- as I dont know anyone running a Level 5 Clutch that Streets their car like I do, and beats on theirs like I do.

So Please, lets keep the comments down, and I will post progress as this works out.

I absolutly love this setup, Im just trying to get it dialed in and working perfect =) I have driven 2 Stage 3 Monsters and they are almost identical to my 5 in driveablitly ( so I have a feel for this brand now ) I continually recommend Monster Clutchs and tick masters - Just want to make that clear.

Last edited by BuffJoeyD; 09-12-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Banned

what kind of master are you running?

modified stock one ?
Old 09-12-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
what kind of master are you running?

modified stock one ?
Are you serious? He said it atleast 3 times...
Old 09-12-2009, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

I have the same set-up and mine is 3800lb and been low 10's. I've been to the track about 9-10 times and made about 3 passes every time. I've got about 8k on my clutch. I adjusted mine after about 2500 miles and then adjusted it again about three weeks ago(300 miles ago). It was still shifting nicely but it wasn't shifting silky smooth when I was power shifting on the spray. I'd do a turn or two and it was money again.

Last edited by bodydropped; 09-12-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bodydropped
I adjusted mine after about 2500 miles and then adjusted it again about three weeks ago(300 miles ago). It was still shifting nicely but it wasn't shifting silky smooth when I was power shifting on the spray. I'd do a turn or two and it was money again.
I was assuming it was going to need some adjustment after wearing it in - This was just the first time Ive been able to really get into it without something breaking - I was thinking that maybe Im not making enough power - nor beating on this thing hard enough to break it in yet - which is why I went in and adjusted the master

( I thought the tranny was seriously broken - Had 2 different people check the car out while we were working on other cars and I we had a laugh at how stiff and impossible to move the shifter was with the car off before attempting an adjustment)
Old 09-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by squee
Are you serious? He said it atleast 3 times...
wasnt sure if he modified his own or bought it like that from somewere else.

Sounds to me like thats his problem..
Old 09-15-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

bump- Callin up today =)
Old 09-15-2009, 06:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BuffJoeyD

( I how stiff and impossible to move the shifter was with the car off
Hate to tell you this, but you DO have a tranny problem. Car off, tranny not shifting/stuck in gear...that is ALL tranny my friend
Old 09-15-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Well that interesting - Cause Car off Trans no shift - Adjusted the master, press pedal - smooth disengage... wanna run that by me again?

Talked to Monster today - Havent heard of any similar problems and are saying that since there havent been any issues similar that the Hydraulics are assumed the issue ( but they want to hear the outcome and stand by their hardware if it does show some sort of clutch issue. ) ,

missed 2 calls from Tick ( bad timing ) I'll try them again tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt the masters adjustment is changing, and as long as both jam nuts are tight against the aluminum rod that can't happen.

Once the master is adjusted properly for a full dissengagement, it really shouldn't require farther adjustement as time goes on. If the fluid begins to degrade due to heat, clutch dust entering through the slave, moisture, etc. farther adjusment could help the issue, but a good bleed on the system is probably the real fix.

Actually, as the clutch breaks in or begins to wear in general it should dissengage easier...less fluid movement would be necessary, not more.

I have experienced a clutch that severely slipped at the track on a customers car that flat out wouldn't shift at all. It seemed to be stuck in gear, but with force it would shift...basically like the clutch wasn't dissengaging completely. I feel like it heated the fluid to the point that it just couldn't dissengage properly. After a few days of driving the feel came back to normal...without bleeding or adjusting. This happened years ago before our cyinders or monster clutches.

With that said, if you're having trouble shifting with the engine off and especially if the trouble is related to specific gears rather than all of them I would tend to say its a tranny issue as well.

It just makes no sense that with a turn or two on our master and you're all set again... Has this only happened that one night and is it shifting smoothly right now?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:02 AM
FormerVendor

Well that interesting - Cause Car off Trans no shift - Adjusted the master, press pedal - smooth disengage... wanna run that by me again?

Yeah, maybe teh car got rocked/moved around while you were "adjusting" the pedal, and freed the tranny. Took whatever bind it was in, and allowed it to come out of gear. Pure coincidence that it shifted after you adjusted teh pedal

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick

With that said, if you're having trouble shifting with the engine off and especially if the trouble is related to specific gears rather than all of them I would tend to say its a tranny issue as well.

It just makes no sense that with a turn or two on our master and you're all set again... ?

Yep
Old 09-16-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
It just makes no sense that with a turn or two on our master and you're all set again... Has this only happened that one night and is it shifting smoothly right now?
Its only happened the once - and I agree that the adjustment to the master makes no sense to me as a way to fix it - But yes, since the adjustment, shifts smoothly. I forgot to put in the original post that I exchanged the fluid ( not a full drop and bleed - Just cycled in new fluid 3 times ) after adjusting the pedal to insure there wasnt any bad fluid stuck somewhere and got used looking fluid but nothing I wouldnt see before after a track day on the old setup. Im gonna stick to even though I didnt see any bad fluid that it was/ or is still in there, and will do a full drop.

When originally installed it was bench bled, gravity bled, and vac bled.

Originally Posted by Gen414
Yeah, maybe teh car got rocked/moved around while you were "adjusting" the pedal, and freed the tranny. Took whatever bind it was in, and allowed it to come out of gear. Pure coincidence that it shifted after you adjusted teh pedal
I drove the car about 25 miles home from when this started, If the car was gonna "Rock/Move" It woulda done it there.

But I didnt rock anything, Custom Solid motor mount, poly trans mount, UMI= race K member, t56 crossmember, Upper and lower control arms front, Tq arm , LCA- The car doesn't rock and not do it as an entire piece.

Last edited by BuffJoeyD; 09-16-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:11 PM
FormerVendor

I drove the car about 25 miles home from when this started, If the car was gonna "Rock/Move" It woulda done it there.

But I didnt rock anything, Custom Solid motor mount, poly trans mount, UMI= race K member, t56 crossmember, Upper and lower control arms front, Tq arm , LCA- The car doesn't rock and not do it as an entire piece.

You drove teh car 25 miles all teh while it was stuck in gear?

Maybe you are misunderstanding me when I say "rocked teh car".

What I am saying is (from what I think you are telling me) car was stuck in gear. You turned it off. Still would not come out of gear. Hopped under dash, adjusted pedal. Tranny then was able to come out of gear.
Is THAT what you are saying?
If so, what I am saying about "rocking the car" was, when you hopped under teh dash, and trying to adj pedal, car moved some. Just enough to take teh tranny out of a bind, and it popped out of gear for you.

If that is NOT what you are talking about, then clarify for me, what it is that happened.

From how I read you post above "drove my car 25 miles while this started" that car was stuck in gear. Again, this being the case, if it was NOT tranny related, you could have got it out of gear.
Stuck in gear...fork pad (running stock nylon?) broke, got wedged into the fork/slider, hung up in gear. After some "persuasion" tranny popped out, and your pad is now resting in the bottom of the tranny....

Need more info to better diagnose, but from what I have read so far, that is what I coming up with...
Old 09-16-2009, 09:36 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed that a broken fork pad is probably what is going on here. Vince B
Old 09-18-2009, 01:55 AM
TECH Regular

You drove teh car 25 miles all teh while it was stuck in gear?.
Yes, If It drives, why not? Stuck in 3rd- even with 3.23 gears and a 29 inch tire I can still launch the car in 3rd from a stop, and that takes me to about 65-70 at 3-3500 rpm- no risk there as running the car on ethanol keeps the car safe and cool.

What I am saying is (from what I think you are telling me) car was stuck in gear. You turned it off. Still would not come out of gear. Hopped under dash, adjusted pedal. Tranny then was able to come out of gear.
Is THAT what you are saying?
And I later said, I forgot to say that I did a fluid exchange - like I always do after a track day or if I feel Ive been hard on the car as well. Which is why I think that there was some sort of isolated hydraulic fluid issue combined with adjustment needed to the pedal -

I'm not gonna debate some sort of rocked "teh" car possibility - If the car was gonna rock it woulda done it while I was driving - I think the problem is, what I call stuck, is probably what the average person ( who cares about their trans ) would call stuck. Could I have power armed it and POSSIBLY Forced it out of gear- Im sure its "POSSIBLE", but Im gonna call it stuck. If another 6 speed driver gets in the car and I say," try your best to get that out of gear" - and they respond with " wow, thats not movin"
Old 09-18-2009, 02:03 AM
TECH Regular

This trans probably has over 80,000 miles on it. I'm assuming that something is breaking / damaged that might have been only shown on this one day - But It didn't wanna go into 5th, put it back into 3rd, got stuck into 3rd- after taking it home- it sat for a day, did as I posted, and now you wouldn't know there was ever an issue.

Isolated, freak occurrence, can be guessed at but not fully explained. I would almost rather something was broken so I could just say " yup , that was it " to me its a dead issue as the trans is used with an unknown history. and I bought it being told it needed to be rebuilt, but never had an issue with it.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 AM
FormerVendor

Yes, If It drives, why not? Stuck in 3rd- even with 3.23 gears and a 29 inch tire I can still launch the car in 3rd from a stop, and that takes me to about 65-70 at 3-3500 rpm- no risk there as running the car on ethanol keeps the car safe and cool.

"
I really think you are misunderstanding me. First of all, I am not attacking you (it seems from your post, that you have a little bit of hositlity) and secondly, I never questioned WHY you drove it...I was simply asking IF you did, so I could better understand what was going on with your car, as again, I am simply trying to help you, and I need all teh info I can get to give a better answer on what is going on with your setup.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

No hostility- just sayin trying to let you know Fo Sho: that Ive explored all the logical answers- just really wanted to see if there were other people that maybe had a similar issue but only called Tick & Monster or possibly something seen in testing- just checkin.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:12 AM
FormerVendor

No hostility- just sayin trying to let you know Fo Sho: that Ive explored all the logical answers- just really wanted to see if there were other people that maybe had a similar issue but only called Tick & Monster or possibly something seen in testing- just checkin.

Fair enough then.
Hard to diagnose something over teh net, so I do end up asking quite a bit of questions to help better understand the problem at hand....GL and let us know what you find out.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Car runs great- Just need a 9 inch so I can break something for real this time.

Quick Reply: Monster + Tick . Need Reps