Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car idles really low and eventually shuts off!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car idles really low and eventually shuts off!!

Hey I have a heads and cam motor in a 99 ta with a t56 and a "2002 ta motor" in it. it is supposed tp have a hp tuners tune on it. I have had it for about 3 weeks now and this has been the first time i have had any motor trouble. My car has a pretty low idle and at times drops to about 700rpm and jumps back to 1100 or so. Now since last night it hasn't cut off, but two days before it cut off every time i drove it for a couple of miles. the final time it cut off, it was on for maybe 3 minutes and i attempted to drive it off and it cut off on me in traffic. it kinda feels like it's misfiring or something. I know there is a pretty crappy connection between the air lid and maf. it pretty much is stuffed in there and slides out after cutting it on. theres no bellow or anything between it. would this cause an issue being the csr is tuned for a certain amount of airflow? i hooked it up to where it's actually sealed, but the car like i said still has that big flucuation in the idle (more than just the lope of the cam) but now it still stays on. before it would keep dropping and cut off. Is there some other area i should be looking into? batter charge jumps from 12-18 volts as if there's a grounding issue or something would that cause a car to shut off? fuel pump or would the transmission have anything to do with it? because it is tore the hell up. it has no 5th or 6th gear left and was said to be a stage 3 tranny when i bought it. the main issue is the dropping in rpm i feel like i've rambled but that is worrying me like it's going to try to cut off on me again.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the fuel pressure. The pumps die a slow death. They are fine cold but once they warm up they tend to loose pressure. Pressure should be at 55-60 psi at idle. Akso check all the grounds and the battery.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

check your O2 sensors i see its a heads and cam motor, has the motor been tuned for the h/c combo? also check your map sensor it may need to be changed.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks guys, i'm going to do some research and try to figure out how to check map sensors and fuel pressure. i'm pretty much a newb with the mechanics, but knowing where to look at really helps. I don't know where to check the fuel pressure from. keep your eye out for me, i'm going to try to get some troubleshooting done tomorrow