Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Books

I'm trying to decide what to do. Go to Barnes and Nobles and buy

this
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/How...2494884/?itm=1

or this
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Che...7884077/?itm=3

I'm hoping the book I choose helps me understand a lot more than I already do before I buy my first car.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't get a book, just get in there and do it. Best way to learn.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Teching In

I'm not buying it to learn how to install modifications. I want to learn more about the engine and modifications.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by aTeam
I'm not buying it to learn how to install modifications. I want to learn more about the engine and modifications.
I had that first one, not worth it imo. You can gain a helluvalot more knowledge reading through the forums and working around the stuff yourself. If you can find a manual specific to your engine and/or car from the manufacturer (not Haynes or other bs), then you will get everything you need to know about the motor down to every .xxx in. When you learn how everything works and why, then you can get into modding and what does what and why. Bottom line, in this shitty economy, SAVE YOUR MONEY!!! and don't buy the book!
Old 09-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Teching In

I guess you're right, I know how a car works through and through. But I thought I could learn something from the books, such as part combinations and such. If I ever have questions though I can get multiple opinions from the forums rather than one opinion from a book.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by aTeam
I guess you're right, I know how a car works through and through. But I thought I could learn something from the books, such as part combinations and such. If I ever have questions though I can get multiple opinions from the forums rather than one opinion from a book.
If you are looking for part combos, then you have a lot of factors a book will not give you like reliability, cost, application variety. That is what forums and well-informed techs are for. Besides, a book will not give you the bad experience some people encounter with different setup combos which is a plus when searching through the forums.