Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR Removal with Cats

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AIR Removal with Cats

I've got a bad AIR check valve on my passenger side, which pumped exhaust through the AIR hoses and toasted em. Rather than spend money and time on replacing all the cracked/melted hoses and check valves I'm ready to just pull the AIR system, and ls1edit the codes, but I still have cats.

It's a street car so I have to be able to pass emissions in Ohio which is an OBDII check, and if the PCM isn't ready then they dyno it. I'm not worried about not passing the sniffer without AIR.

Anyone know if this will mess up the cats, and is anyone running this set up for a while with experience?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have read on here, removing the air system, tuning it out, and putting block off plates on the manifolds won't have any ill effects on the cats or how the car runs...just get the emissions testing done when your car is up to standard temp.

That sucks if they do the sniffer on you...I have a buddy who owns a bullitt mustang with long tubes and full exhaust w/ no cats and he passed fine here. All they do is check your codes and make sure of no check engine lights.