Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats floating in my coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Whats floating in my coolant?

I always check the coolant in my car and the last couple weeks I have noticed somthing strange floating at the top of my radiator and its all over the radiator cap. I have ported 853 heads on my car and they have that notch in the deck of the head so I have to run the graphite head gaskets. My best description of it is that it appears its some of the graphite off the head gaskets in the coolant. It has a sparkle grey color to it. You can actually stick your finger in it and get it on your fingers. I'm not losing any coolant or oil at all. No signs of coolant or oil on the plugs. These are as close up pictures as I can get but they have the graphite shine/color to them. I've noticed more and more of it this week. The very last picture you can see a nice sized in the coolant floating. Its definitely of some material inside the motor. Whats your thoughts?

Old 09-24-2009, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably pushing a head gasket (NOS)
Old 09-24-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have kinda the same crap floating in mine. I just ignore it. Then again, I am pretty sure that my heads are starting to lift as well, joys of having a stock long block and not caring.

Does your coolant level change at all in the overflow?

If the fluid isn’t going anywhere, and nothing else looks to be mixing, you should be ok. You could always change the gaskets for the just incase factor as it would better to do it now vs waiting until the issue is worse.

I wonder if you could hook an air hose up to each cylinder by cylinder , and then watch to see if bubbles form in the radiator.

Last edited by MaxxMitchell; 09-24-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should be fine...