Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

andvantages of glide over TH400/350 etc?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default andvantages of glide over TH400/350 etc?

im not familiar with the advantages of a Glide other than only a 1-2 shift. can someone help me learn a little more about them?

also able to do street duty? take a transbrake? as strong or less strong than a 400 or 350? difference in gearing on 1st gear? but is second the same final drive ratio as 3rd in a 400?

not going with a glide, but just want to understand a little more.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Light, strong, no problems with a brake and they load turbo cars great.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok, what about in terms of streetability? anyone drive one daily?
Old 09-27-2009, 08:26 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

They came in the older cars with intenions of street driving, but by todays standards, it's not ideal. The final gear ratio on the PG,TH350 and TH400 are all 1:1 so in that sense they are comparable as far as freeway cruising speeds go. You'll be turning some rpms no doubt.

The PG is a favorite among drag racers becasue they help with traction sensitive cars, tame down wheels stand prone set ups and are very durable. The powerglide also offers a quicker release transbrake by design. You can't beat a PG for consistency. There are a variety of 1st gears sets available to help get the car moving, but that can get expensive. Just get the right stall converter to match your rear gears and powerband and you'll be happy. Generally you will lose a little ET going to a Glide unless you make big TQ/HP, but it's fractional IMO.

The Glide is quite a bit lighter than the 4l60e, TH400 and TH350. It also has less rotating parts so it has less parasitic loss in comparison to the others.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
They came in the older cars with intenions of street driving, but by todays standards, it's not ideal. The final gear ratio on the PG,TH350 and TH400 are all 1:1 so in that sense they are comparable as far as freeway cruising speeds go. You'll be turning some rpms no doubt.

The PG is a favorite among drag racers becasue they help with traction sensitive cars, tame down wheels stand prone set ups and are very durable. The powerglide also offers a quicker release transbrake by design. You can't beat a PG for consistency. There are a variety of 1st gears sets available to help get the car moving, but that can get expensive. Just get the right stall converter to match your rear gears and powerband and you'll be happy. Generally you will lose a little ET going to a Glide unless you make big TQ/HP, but it's fractional IMO.

The Glide is quite a bit lighter than the 4l60e, TH400 and TH350. It also has less rotating parts so it has less parasitic loss in comparison to the others.

I hope this helps.
That sir is a fantastic explanation of what i needed to know thank you very much. jow using a glide on the streets, would it produce more heat than a 400? and higher rpms than a 400? comparing now at 60 mph my 4000 converter floats at 3200,
Old 09-27-2009, 09:56 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

At 60mph the rpms should be the same as a TH350/TH400 as they all have the same final drive ratio. You will most likely need to run a higher stall in the glide to get the car moving easier on the streets since the 1st gear set will be higher than the TH350/TH400. I wouldn't be too concerned with generating more heat with the glide over the TH350/TH400 on the streets. You'll want a good tranny cooler regardless of which transmission you choose to end up with.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
At 60mph the rpms should be the same as a TH350/TH400 as they all have the same final drive ratio. You will most likely need to run a higher stall in the glide to get the car moving easier on the streets since the 1st gear set will be higher than the TH350/TH400. I wouldn't be too concerned with generating more heat with the glide over the TH350/TH400 on the streets. You'll want a good tranny cooler regardless of which transmission you choose to end up with.
have a derale trans cooler with a fan mounted in front of the radiator. , thanks for the insight. im probably sticking with the 400, but if swapping from one to the other is easy i may have pick up a glide to have laying around for the occasional track days.