Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

LG GT2 Coilovers and PFADT Sway Bar Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LG GT2 Coilovers and PFADT Sway Bar Review

I picked up a set of LG's new GT2 adjustable coilovers from Lou at Carlisle. I also met and picked up a set of PFADT Street/Track sway bars from a forum member who brought them to Carlisle.

These are better looking in person.

New Style Street/Track Bars

Last Saturday 3 of my CF friends came over at 7:00am and we took off my Z06 springs and sway bars and Bilstein Sport shocks and installed the new suspension. We ran into a couple of hickups but we were finished by noon.

Thanks guys!

The alignment was SO bad after the install that I needed an alignment before I could push the car. The first place I went couldn't get it on the rack - too low. Another CF friend recommended Funktion Automotive in Sterling which is where I took the car Monday. It's an exotics shop and they had an in ground rack that could handle the car easily. I had them set the car to 04 Z06 specs which is as aggressive as I want to run on the street and what I had been running.

I picked the car up Wednesday night and had an opportunity to drive it about 60 miles of mixed use. My immediate impression is that while the ride is firmer it's not jolting at all. Small bumps are swallowed quickly and larger ones cause no excitement in the suspension at all. Compliant is the word that comes to mind.

Now as far as handling difference - this thing is a freaking slot car. It's corners FLAT!!!!! Braking hard going into turns inspires confidence. I found myself accelerating through a decreasing radius turn that I carried quite a bit of speed into to begin with. I had an opportunity to throw the car from side to side in some switch backs and the car never complained a bit - it simply went where I pointed it. There is no wallow through long corners and the suspension takes a quick set and unloads smoothly. The car is very neutral with perhaps a touch of over-steer that is easily controllable and usable if you want to throttle steer some. Under hard straight line acceleration there is some rear squat but no where near as much as with the Z06 setup. The front never "felt" light.

I have absolutely no wheel hop!!! With the 315 PS2's on the back I used to have horrible wheel hop.

I have the LG's set to one softer than the middle setting. Lou says the middle setting is the same as their Bilstein coilovers. There are 12 settings in total. I added 1/2 inch of preload to the front springs.

The sway bars are set to PFADT's recommended setting.

Overall, this is one of the best mods I have done to my car. Two people at the shop drove it and simply couldn't believe the ride quality considering this is pretty much a track setup. I have to agree. Even my wife likes the ride.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Kevin sounds like you like the upgrade.

I just got back from Vengeance and have to echo that I too love the coilovers (pfadt for me though) and pfadt sways. You aren't lying when you say corners flat. On my home eway, I usually have to hope and pray to go around this one curve anywhere near 100 mph before the coils and sways, but tonight I noticed I could stay in the throttle and was doing nearly 120 with zero effort. You made a wise decision Kevin. Coilovers should be the first upgrade to peoples cars, not the last. Get the suspension down, learn to drive, then add power. JMO though
Old 09-25-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sweet.

Been sayin it for a while now. By far, one of the best mods EVER.

One of those MUST have mods. Run some doug rippies myself, love em. Nice write up.

Quick Reply: LG GT2 Coilovers and PFADT Sway Bar Review