Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rearend problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rearend problems

so tonight i was driving around and my stock 10 bolt with the torsion third chuck and stock gears/axles etc. anyways we thought it was the ring/pinion that was making the noise because we could turn the drive shaft about a 1/16-1/8 of a turn... we pulled the cover off and everything seemed to be fine, no big chunks of metal on the magnet or in the bottom of the case. while driving it something seemed to be loose back there and sometimes while switching gears it would clunk, also around turns it clunk... the backlash on the ring and pinion seems good, what do yall think it could be... it has 150K on the car and a poly trans. mount... we could not see any play physically in the U-joints, but could that maybe be the problem, would it make it clunk like that?
Old 09-26-2009, 04:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does it do it when you brake with your foot on the clutch or in Neutral? Try testing that...I had a similar clunk I couldn't figure out and it turned out it was the torque arm. There's actually a number of threads talking about a clunk on accel or decel with the torque arm.

With mine it didnt' seem to matter how tight I got the bolts, I'd still get the clunk...tonight I swapped rear and guess what...no clunk. I honestly thing the through bolt holes became warped so there was just enough movement to clunk.