Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

boost leak, low on power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost leak, low on power?

Im wondering if a SMALL boost leak right at the wastegate flange could cause some loss in power, even though the car is building the same amount of boost -YET slower - of course.

if it was a supercharger id say the blower is working harder to generate the same boost, but is this true for a turbocharged application as well?

Last edited by ayousef; 09-26-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

bump.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ayousef
Im wondering if a SMALL boost leak right at the wastegate flange could cause some loss in power, even though the car is building the same amount of boost -YET slower - of course.

if it was a supercharger id say the blower is working harder to generate the same boost, but is this true for a turbocharged application as well?
If its at the wastegate flange it would be an exhaust leak. If the leak was very small it really should not be noticeable.

A supercharger would just make less boost because it has a fixed airflow and driven by a belt(im sure you knew this). A turbo will try and make up for a boost leak, but your exhaust leak will just slow spool up alittle bit.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

its probably an exhaust leak. do you have a boost contoller?
Old 09-27-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have a similar problem in my truck, the controller (aem) is set at 12 but it goes all the way sometimes and sometimes it just gets to 7 psi. i checked for exhaust leaks but i think you may want to take a look at the wastegate seal. btw i didnt check mine yet.