Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! not your average t-stat problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help! not your average t-stat problem!

hey guys i have a problem.
well my car is a 98 but it has an 02 long block from a ws6 in it and i need to flush my rad and clean every thing out and im also going to put a fresh t-stat in it and thats the problem.
i have read on here that some need the t-stat's with the housing and some dont depending on the year ond so on.
so my motor is a 02 so what do i need to get?
i would like to get a 180f t-stat my fans are tuned for lower temps and my car is a 98 so it has the more acurate temp gauge and it always reads on the 1/4 mark so i dont know what i have in it now but i would guess its not stock temp or it would sit in the middle?
help me out guys
Old 09-28-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just replaced mine on my 02 and it came with the t-stat and housing so being you have an 02 long block I'd go from there. As far as the temp gauge is my friend has a 98 its all stock and the gauge sits at abt 1/4 mark unless your having fun. Also keep in mind that on his 98 and yours too I'd imagine the temp gauge starts at 160 and is 210 in the middle while my 02 and 01 that I had started at 100 and had 210 in the middle so the marks may be a little off from year to year. Also I believe on the back of t-stat it will have the temp marked in it.
Dan-
Old 09-28-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 99 Formula. When I first got the car I had to replace the water pump. Fast forward to the begining of my mod's, I started with attempting to install a 160* from SLP. I got my new t-stat which is the one-piece and proceeded to tear the original one off the car. Once I got it off, I realized the I have a two piece that came with the new water pump. ****! So I put my car back together and started my search for a stat that would work for my water pump. Scoggin Dickey had one I needed and it was actually cheaper than the SLP unit.

I guess what I'm trying to get it at here is that you'll probably just have to tear it apart to see what you have and then order accordingly. I know that kinda sucks, but I don't know any other way to tell what t-stat is in there by just looking at the housing. Good luck, man.