Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake lines for newbs

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default brake lines for newbs

ok, i got my LS1 started and it sounds MEAN. now i want to drive it. unfortunately, when i removed the old 3.4L, the front brake lines got bent all to ****, so I need to replace them.

I have never created my own brake lines before, but it doesn't seem like to big of a deal. I'll have two 3/16" lines coming from the master cylinder into an aftermarket proportioning valve, and then 3/16" lines going from prop. valve to the front calipers and rear calipers.

I have a 3/16" tube bending tool, and a tube cutter. I can rent a double flaring tool from Autozone, and get the 3/16" hard tubing from NAPA. Then I just plan and bend along the wheel well and across my k-member into my calipers (my rubber lines are still in good shape).

So...am I missing anything? Do you guys have any tips for someone that has never done brake lines before?

Thanks for any help/advice!
Old 10-04-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have all the tools that you need. Here are some things I have learned over the years to make sure the flares are ok:

-Get a t-square or something w/ a 90* angle and make sure the brake line where it is cut off is a perfect 90*, that way you won't have the flare going to one side.

-Use brake or tranny fluid as lube when creating the flares.

-Use a cut off piece of new line that still has the flare on it to make sure that your new flare is the correct size.

make sure that after you cut the line w/ the pipe cutter, that you clean out the line w/ a file or knoife or something pointy because when you cut the line, it pushes metal inward causeing you to have a smaller hole. Other than that, you should be good to go.

mark jr.

Quick Reply: brake lines for newbs