Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No forward or reverse...lots of rattling

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No forward or reverse...lots of rattling

Okay, I installed a 3600 vig stall a few weeks ago, it's been running great. I went to dinner with the girlfriend a few days ago and it ran fine. I came back out after dinner and when it cranked over there was an awful metal clanking noise like one of the bolts came loose or broke and was rattling around int he bellhousing (one of the TC bolts i mean).

So i shut it off and tried cranking it again, the engine ran great and idled fine, and there was a small rattling coming from the bellhousing, I thought maybe it was the bolt rattling.

So i had it towed home and jacked it up today to take a look. I figured all the TC bolts were gone and the TC wasn't spinning. Not so.

One of the TC bolts broke off somehow...but the other two are still in there solid and when the engine runs the TC spins with it. But I have no forward or reverse and theres an awful metal clanking. Is the pump bad (I just had it repaired during the TC install)? Or something else?

Any idea how much this is going to cost me on average?

Also on a side note, how much does the average tranny shop charge to drop the tranny (if i took the whole car over instead of removing it myself? I'm sick of dropping the trans on jackstands in my garage.

Thanks all, I appreciate your help as always.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Bump for a desperate fellow. Anyone at least know how much i can expect to pay on average to have the trans dropped and reinstalled?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

It's possible the rotor broke in the pump. Look at your ATF level and see if it is way up on the stick-from drain back and not being pumped thru the trans. You could pull one of the lines to confirm this. If the bolt is missing, the converter won't stay true and probably stressed the rotor and broke it. It is also a possibility the flywheel broke in the center-long shot. Just a guess. Good Luck with what you find.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

I broke the rotor putting it together and the shop charged me $300 to fix. Does that sound right (I took the trans in to them). If that's the problem should I try to repair it myself (It looks like a rotor and o rings and all is like $30 tops).
Old 10-01-2009, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

I really don't want to drop the trans again. I really wish I could get a ballpark of what someone charges to drop a trans. Anyone wanna come over and drop it for a couple bucks and free food and beer? Eh? Baltimore is a fun town! Take a little vacation and fix my car? Eh? Eh?