Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

calipers leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Default calipers leak

title says it all they leak where the lines go in.

back story

96 camaro we swapped motors out on didnt change any hardware but we undid the lines going to the calipers and put them back on bled the system no leaks all is good.

now that the car runs, the back brakes dont work and the fronts leak (rear has drums) guess it needs to be bled again

when put back together i got both of the washers on the caliper line bolts what am i missing why do they leak??

aditional info the front calipers are off a 2000 camaro but the line is the original to the car.

also a little worried the ebrake doesnt work
and when we put it in gear only one of the rear wheels spun ( posi or no im not sure)

thanks for the help sorry if my post is speratic
Old 10-02-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you re-use those washers, or did you buy new ones? I wouldn't recommend using the existing brake lines if they are old. Try putting new crush washers on, and getting new brake lines since you'll be opening the system anyway. You'd be surprised what new brake lines can do to the braking of a car, especially if they are hanging up. If they still leak after all of this, try tightening the banjo bolt down just a tad more (but don't strip it, the calipers are aluminum and are very prone to stripping). Also, inspect the banjo thread area on the calipers and make sure that there are no nicks that could cause leakage where the crush washers seal the connection.

On a side note, I just finished a full brake line swap on my car with new calipers up front. The car has 85,000 miles on it, and I am sure that the lines and fluid were original before I changed them out. It was very frustrating, and I almost gave up on the car. I was able to calm down, and carefully fix all of the connections where rust made things brittle. Today, the car drives more straight than it ever has (due to getting rid of hanging calipers and bad brake hoses), and the performance of the braking system is better than ever. Good luck with the rest of your project.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

yeah we reused them i didnt even think about them being crush washers

thanks for all the info and i know what you mean about the calm down thing it seems like this car has been a can of worms, everytime we get somthing accomplished it reveals another problem