Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end only slides out when turning left?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear end only slides out when turning left?

Like the title states; I noticed this today. It is raining here and I have noticed that my *** end will only kick out when I gas it around a left hand turn, when I gas it around a right hand turn my engine revs, and I hear what I think is my rear passenger wheel spinning frantically but the *** end never slides out.

Now I have to note that when I installed my LCAs a while back I noticed much more sever wheel hop out of my rear passenger wheel while making slower right hand turns in wet road conditions.

I was under the impression that my F Body with 3.23 gears has a posi rear. With what I have been experiencing; do I have a rear that is toast, and was is possibly the install of the LCAs that is the culprit?
Old 10-09-2009, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like its just a pos auburn or eaton limted slip with weak clutches. You could probably change it out for a zexel torsen out of a 6 speed car and it would work better. Or you could only powerslide the car on left turns.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Torsen posi's will only spin the right if you take a right hand corner sharp. It wont hit both wheels till you get straight and you will know then bc you will feel it float around. Also, when making a hard right ,wet or dry, I have noticed if I give it a good amount of gas it will wheel hop until it straightens up. Wheel hop= death to 10 bolt so be careful. The torsen is not the greatest posi in the world but it gets the job done when going straight.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

OK so basically what I experiencing is normal and not unusual for a Torsen Posi...that is good to know and disappointing at the same time. As far as the wheel hop goes I really only notice it when I am cornering to right and relatively slow. It seemed to get much worse after I installed my LCAs which I thought was suppose to do the exact opposite...my car is not lowered so I did not bother with relocation brackets, but I have read in other threads that installing them will help out...can anyone vouch for the relocation brackets on a non-lowered F-bod?
Old 10-12-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I have not been able to keep the rear from wheel hopping on a slow speed right hand turn. Even when it is wet, it still tries to jerk. One true test is to lay black marks in a straight line then go back and look at them. They should be identical from both tires.