Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

what is needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is needed

i want to turbo my ls1. I dont have any experience with turbos all i know about turbos is what i have read in magazines and on the net. But i want to do it myself had too many problems with taking my car into shops people don't do stuff right when its not there ride . so i have been told nobody makes a kit for these cars besides sts which i don't want. so if someone could help me out what all do i need to completely turbo my car will be running stock block for a while so boost will be ran pretty low for now.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What car do you have? Do a search on the FI forum. There are a lot of threads on here about turbo builds. A lot of them you can learn from (some posts/threads are mine) the do's and do not's. Take your time and research your parts. Shop around for good used stuff or shop for new parts only on sale. It will take some time but you will save a lot of money. Sts turbo kits are good starter kits for someone who wants to get into the FI game relatively cheap. Now even though I said that I assure you that there is NOTHING cheap about FI. I know because I've thrown a considerable amount of money at my car and it still isn't done yet. Look at the sticky on top of the forum that says "The real price of forced induction" it will basically sum everything up you need. There are a lot of other nice little bells and whistles that you can put on your car that you really need to put on there, but it isn't a necessity. Be honest with yourself and decide what kind of build you want to do from the start. Take in to consideration things like: street or track use, driveability, reliability, a hp number that you can actually control in the environment your going to be driving in, and last but not least don't BS the price tag numbers. What you can afford is what you can afford. Once you come up with the answers to those questions then you can start researching for kits and parts. STICK TO YOUR PLAN. Don't get side-tracked on another build someone else is doing. That is what I did. I can tell you when you jump from one idea for a build to another it will be just as costly if not more costly than people who can't decide what their major is in college lol. Planning is of paramount in a FI build. All these parts are integral to making your car run good and reliable. If you throw a bunch of crap together then that is what your going to have. Crap. Anyways I could go on and on from the mistakes I've learned but do some research. Then you can say you did it all from start to finish. It will be very gratifying once you have your car done. Hope this helps. Trying to encourage not discourage but when you deal with the reality of the expense it can be a show stopper. Good luck. Chris
Old 10-10-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheelbarrow full of money. Seriously though...don't think you're going to get a running system for $4000 unless you want to part everything together used yourself
Old 10-10-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of car?