Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! I have a problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! I have a problem!!

I hope im putting this in the right place.I have a ticking sound on the passenger side of the engine. It doesnt sound like a knock or even rattling. Seems like it is coming from the valve train but im not sure. The sounds increase with RPM also. The car just finished getting built and I picked it up about two weeks ago. Its a 76k 99 Trans am w/ d1sc procharger 8psi, and full bolt ons and dynoed tuned. The tick has been there since I got it back from them. I plan on taking it tommorow to take the valve cover off and inspect it. My question is if it was a valve train issue wouldnt the car lose power?? Wouldnt my ses lights come on? I just raced a cam and sprayed ss camaro 3 hours ago and i pulled on him so my car cant be losing power. Every one ask me what the ticking sound is....I need some advise. I searched and it the LS1s are notorious for ticking. Im wondering if i should just chalk it up as a loss and accept it, just like im accepting the rattling and squeaking of the car. thanx
Old 10-10-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably the lifter is making that sound, and to change that you need to pull the head
Old 10-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Teching In

probably the lifter is making that sound, and to change that you need to pull the head
would my car lose power though??
Old 10-10-2009, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

i have the same sound you are talking about i believe but i'm lt1. Its probably a lifter bleeding off when the car sits. Its not uncommon to get a bad lifter brand new out of the box bc thats what happened to me. I bought comp lifters and one went bad 4,000 miles later. It wont loose power and wont throw a check engine code. Just let your car warm up completely before getting on it. And it also might be a rocker loose. I've had that happen before also didn't loose power just had a loud *** noise. pull the valve cover run and rockers and if it still does it it might be a lifter just my .02
Old 10-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Teching In

thanx blk99 thats what i plan to do tommorow morning
Old 10-11-2009, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a similar problem a while back. Thought it was a lifter, or bad rocker. ertc. Turned out to be a loose spark plug. Look for the easy stuff first.