Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Wheel Bearing??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing??

Okay, just a little back ground info. My car just turned 99k yesterday and it has been making this sound for a while now. I have noticed it starting to get a little bit louder now that i have my windows up. When I am going around a corner it will grind and sound pretty terrible, but when im going straight it doesnt make any grinding noise. The weird thing is that the noise only happens when im out of the gas. When im giving it even just a little bit of gas through a corner the noise stops. Also, its louder when im turning left. I didnt know if it was the wheel bearings or my stock 10bolt going out. The car is an A4 and its my DD.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since it only happens when you're almost out of gas, I'd say it might just be the fuel pump. When you turn, it could be starving the pump. Usually wheel bearings howl when they are on their way out.

Or pull the diff cover and check if you broke something. Then you could pull the axles and check for pitting or grooves.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:05 AM
On The Tree

Yeah i need to just pull the cover and axles and just see if there is anything noticeable first. Might as well replace the bearing while I'm in there and just see if that helps. With 99K it would hurt anything to replace them lol
Old 10-14-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think he meant when he's "off of" the gas, like not touching the gas pedal, not out of gas. mine makes a whining noise when i let off the gas too, but that's because my pinion nut is too tight and caused problems in the rear. but it isn't dependant on if i'm turning or not.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dutinsss
i think he meant when he's "off of" the gas, like not touching the gas pedal, not out of gas. mine makes a whining noise when i let off the gas too, but that's because my pinion nut is too tight and caused problems in the rear. but it isn't dependant on if i'm turning or not.
That would make more sense. That's what I get for posting in the middle of the night.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

lol yeah i was wondering why you were talking about the fuel pump haha