Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What does it take

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What does it take

What goes into a Max Effort Turbo motor?

I would like to run my motor at 850 RWHP untill next trip to the desert, then build a new bullet and toss my PT101 on it and hit it with as much as that turbo can throw at it. Thinking LSX Block and All Pro LSW Heads.. Same GMPP Single Plain Intake, Just have no clue on the cam required and Rotating assy and pistons to use to take that abuse...

Also want to keep the car motor plateless and keep the 6 speed in it untill I cant afford to replace 6 speeds, or I get a sponsership from a trans vendor like liberty lol.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

be prepared to spend atleast $20,000.00 for a reliable engine
Old 10-14-2009, 06:25 PM
FormerVendor

this will give a idea of what goes in one

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-produ...turbo-ls2.html
Old 10-14-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks! Yeah I priced it with guesses out an came out to 15k so 20k makes sense lol, Next trip out here to Iraq a new motor will be my goal... It's good to be single! lol.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh PS how many passes are those aluminum rods good for? Are they necessary to take some of the shock load of 40PSI or so of boost? How do the bearings hold up? I was on my dad's top alcohol dragster crew 2008 season and I had to check upper rod bearings every single pass because they would squish under 58 PSI of boost!

How many RPMS does a max effort turbo motor spin and what is a good example of some cam specs?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by z28boysteve
oh PS how many passes are those aluminum rods good for? Are they necessary to take some of the shock load of 40PSI or so of boost? How do the bearings hold up? I was on my dad's top alcohol dragster crew 2008 season and I had to check upper rod bearings every single pass because they would squish under 58 PSI of boost!

How many RPMS does a max effort turbo motor spin and what is a good example of some cam specs?
the aluminum rods greatly help out the block and crank.while you could run steel rods,you end up with alot more crank flex and center main bearing loading.this tnds to put more strain on the main caps and block.the rods are good for 100passes or so-depends on what rods you use and the rpms you run the engine at.Rod bearings are not an issue-i just freshened Phil's motor after 30 passes and reused the rod bearings.I try to stay under 8000rpm,but it doesn't always work that way.

Cam specs aren't free

good luck
Old 10-14-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well I understand about the cam specs, I had to pay $100 for mine, and people tell me its Backwards from what it should be! 231/239 .649/.651 117

How about this, what RPM do you try to make peak HP at, and do these engines run any overlap and blow boost out the exhaust until high rpm or do they still run a wide LSA like street turbo cams and try to get the RPM potential from large duration numbers?

Quick Reply: What does it take