Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need help! Got Moser 12 Bolt and need new driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Need help! Got Moser 12 Bolt and need new driveshaft

I guess the shop that put my rear end in made the driveshaft too long. That is what my mechanic is telling me. I guess it keeps breaking the seal on the tranny and is also the cause of my clunking and vibrating (the reason I brought it in in the first place). Does this sound plausible to anyone?

My question is, if I have a Moser 12 bolt and now need a custom length drive shaft, what info do I need if I am going to order one aftermarket? Do I need to know what type of U-joint, length, diameter? Is that all? If so, what info do I need to tell the company I am ordering the driveshaft through, i.e, what type of U-joint does Moser use? Also, chrome-moly v. aluminum for daily driver?

My mechanic told me a company in SLC will shorten my driveshaft. Will this ruin any structural integrity of the driveshaft? I am sure they will re-balance it, but does anyone recommend against this? I know this is a lot of questions, but I am not very knowledgable about drivetrain issues. Hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any input.

Nick
Old 10-18-2009, 03:49 PM
9 Second Club

If you have adjustable lca's you can move the rear back some that should help.If not I would just sell the one you have and measure the one you need you should have at 3/4 " play in tranny input shaft or the drive shaft will be too long.I;m assuming you need 1350 u joints cause you have a 12 bolt usually come with the upgraded yoke.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:51 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick D
I guess the shop that put my rear end in made the driveshaft too long. That is what my mechanic is telling me. I guess it keeps breaking the seal on the tranny and is also the cause of my clunking and vibrating (the reason I brought it in in the first place). Does this sound plausible to anyone?

My question is, if I have a Moser 12 bolt and now need a custom length drive shaft, what info do I need if I am going to order one aftermarket? Do I need to know what type of U-joint, length, diameter? Is that all? If so, what info do I need to tell the company I am ordering the driveshaft through, i.e, what type of U-joint does Moser use? Also, chrome-moly v. aluminum for daily driver?

My mechanic told me a company in SLC will shorten my driveshaft. Will this ruin any structural integrity of the driveshaft? I am sure they will re-balance it, but does anyone recommend against this? I know this is a lot of questions, but I am not very knowledgable about drivetrain issues. Hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any input.

Nick
Nick, the Moser 12 bolt normally takes the same length driveshaft as the stock one. The stock driveshafts are weak though, so it is a good idea to replace the oem one. The chart at this link is what we use to measure for the length needed. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=827

This link is for ordering either the stock length/12 bolt, or nine inch length. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=541

The Moser 12 bolt typically comes with the larger and stronger 1350 yoke, which is what our PST driveshafts come with. If you already have a quality aftermarket driveshaft, you should be able to have it shortened, and it will not affect the strength of it. Bob
Old 10-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced mine when I did the 12 bolt. Length was similar, I went with Denny's Nitrous Ready Steel Unit as this is a heavy M6 car that does put foot to *** and will have a bottle on there so I did not want even a HD Aluminum one to grenade.

The stocker def will kick out. Talk to thechef, a mod here, he will tell you all about the carnage.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt...

So anyone ever heard of this problem before?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Essentially you need to know what yoke you had ordered and often companies will make you take measurements with the rear mocked up in the car. Denny and other co's include a diagram on what you need to do.

Quick Reply: Need help! Got Moser 12 Bolt and need new driveshaft