Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im thinking about the cheapest way to do heads/cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Im thinking about the cheapest way to do heads/cam

Hey, so i know that i cant necessarily go too cheap. I know that im going to want to get new springs and such, but putting 5.3 or 6.0 or 243 heads on my car would be cheap. Would i need to do anything to the heads when i get them? Can i get them straight from a truck and maybe port them and put them on? Do 243 heads only come on z06s? Are they the same as LS6 heads.

What cam would match the heads well? I plan on maybe getting a used cam, but if i did, would it match up to new lifters or would it be a better idea to get the used lifters so they match up to the cam closely? The reason im asking all this is just cuz i think there might be something up with my head gaskets so since im doing all the work of taking it off and replacing the gaskets, i might as well do something good to it. Just wanting to spend as little as possible and be safe.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2001-2004 ZO6 are all 243 heads or ls6 heads with the better hollow stem 2.0 intake and sodiom filled 1.55 exhaust ... the ones bought from shops usually the same casting but with regular valves.

new lifters are the same as used lifters on a used cam length wise (neglected very small difference from errosion)

this is what I know