Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch engaging with clutch petal on the floor!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch engaging with clutch petal on the floor!

I had an LS7 clutch and new slave put in Summer 08. Over the past few months I started having issues with the clutch engaging right off the floor after sitting at a stoplight with the petal down. A few times I even lost pressure and the petal stuck to the floor. I had the master swapped out with an 01+ stocker (no drill mod). Everything seemed to be fixed but yesterday I was headed home from work and started having issues.

I was waiting on traffic to merge into a lane so I had the clutch petal pushed in while waiting. After about 30 seconds the clutch started engaging and disengaging by itself (quickly) and the car started moving forward some while I still had the petal on the floor. I did a search on here but didn't seem to find much. The only thing I can think of is possibly loose pressure plate bolts, but I'm not sure. Any advice?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

If you had issues with inconsistent pedal and the clutch is now engaging with the pedal depressed your are loosing pressure within the hydraulic system. The most probable cause for this is a bad slave cylinder (a bad master can do this as well but since you just replaced it the chances for this are less likely). If you had an issue with the pressure-plate or with the bolts that retain it this would affect your ability to shift and would be more consistent in occurence! Let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks,
Old 10-22-2009, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Ty for the reply, it makes since now. I am going to check/tighten the bleed valve on the slave and cross my fingers. If that doesn't work I know the slave is bad.

I've done a lot of research on here yesterday and I'm debating about swapping the slave myself. Any tips on how to avoid damaging the pilot bearing so I don't have to swap it? The whole setup has 7k to 8k on it and I really don't want to go though pulling the pressure-plate, clutch and flywheel to swap the pilot bearing if I can avoid it.

Quick question though. When I bled the system when I first started having problems, there was quite a bit of fluid coming out between the tranny and bellhousing. Is that normal or a sign of the failing/leaking slave? From what little I found about that on here, it seems to be normal.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:37 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Dyosis
Ty for the reply, it makes since now. I am going to check/tighten the bleed valve on the slave and cross my fingers. If that doesn't work I know the slave is bad.

I've done a lot of research on here yesterday and I'm debating about swapping the slave myself. Any tips on how to avoid damaging the pilot bearing so I don't have to swap it? The whole setup has 7k to 8k on it and I really don't want to go though pulling the pressure-plate, clutch and flywheel to swap the pilot bearing if I can avoid it.

Quick question though. When I bled the system when I first started having problems, there was quite a bit of fluid coming out between the tranny and bellhousing. Is that normal or a sign of the failing/leaking slave? From what little I found about that on here, it seems to be normal.

You should not damge the PB by pulling the tranny, unless you just real careless, and that's bout it. Other than that, yank the tranny, and PB should be OK.

You definitely have a hydro issue as Spec said, and since you replaced MC, would be inclined to say, you have air in system (check for leaks) and /or replace slave (basically saying what Spec already said)
Old 11-04-2009, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Just as a follow up for future reference. I checked my clutch master fluid level, it was good so I crawled under the car last weekend and tightened up the bleeder valve on the slave. It seemed pretty tight to begin with but I put about another 1/2 turn on it. I didn't want to strip it but this was my last ditch effort before pulling the tranny anyway. I've driven the car for 3 days now without a problem. Seems like I was losing pressure through the bleeder valve. Hopefully everything will hold up.

Quick Reply: Clutch engaging with clutch petal on the floor!