Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pressure problem

I'm having a problem with my OP. I had a LS1 forged short block built by a local machine shop and used all arp to bolt together.

For my long block build, I replaced the oil pump with a ls6 pump from Chevy and put everything in like i believe it's supposed to be (o-ring included). I started to have OP issues right after first start up and it gets hot (210). Went from 40psi(cold) and just started going down, down, down....until it bottomed out around 5psi. I shut it off and do as much research as I can. I was left with the most frequent problem of either o-ring or bearings. So I tear the front off my motor to look at the oil pump/o-ring. I had to disassemble the oil pump to get it off the pickup tube. There was NO O-ring. So i got a new one from Chevy and put one in it, button everything back up and started it up. I'm starting to have the same issue with the oil pressure. Back down to 5psi at low idle. I haven't tore the motor apart again to check the o-ring.

I'm looking for any info/suggestions on fixing this. Please help.

I'm coming up with either my pickup tube is cutting the o-ring and sending it into my motor, or my car hates me...more than it did before the swap.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:55 AM
Teching In

I'm going to drop the oil pan this weekend and make the mounting hole for the pickup tube a lot bigger. is there a way that i can make sure the oring isn't pinched without bolting it up and re-starting the motor.

sorry I posted this in the "external" section. would a mod please move this to the internal section for me please
Old 10-21-2009, 04:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol sounds like your car hates u. well i had the same problem with my stocker, then swapped for a melling high volume and have had zero problems since. i also thought it was the o-ring but once off of the car we found that the relief valve was all fouled up. it could have been fixed but i had heard so many good things about melling, and the fact that they have really resonable prices etc etc i decided why not. also the people i talked to about which oil pump to choose steared me away from the ls6 pump.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Teching In

I never thought of this, Thank you for the input! I'll check out the melling oil pump also, thank you!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mellings website:
http://www.mellingselectperformance....mOilPumps.aspx
i believe you would want the 10296 high volume unit.(what i am running)

@ JEGS for $139.99
http://www.jegs.com/i/Melling/689/10296/10002/-1?CT=999

anyways, glad i could help!