Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pressure Washed Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up Pressure Washed Engine Bay

As I had owned a LT1 for quite a few years, we all know there is a def risk of ruining the Opti in the car and that was a risk that I had not wanted to take. So I was very used to using simple green and a rag.

I have owned my car for about 3 yrs and it was due for a engine bay clean. I went to the auto parts store, got some degreaser (I think Fast Orange or Greased lighting), IMO I did not care for it, I prefer foamy Engine Brite but with my painted intake I did not want to use something too harsh.

My father inlaw bought a Electric pressure washer so I set her up, got the compressor set up with a air nozzel.

With the engine cold, I doused the bay with the cleaner, let sit for a few minutes, then sprayed. I got the PCM and fuse block on the driver side but I did not go out of the way to spray it but I def went after the intake manifold and coil packs.

Once the solution came off, I took the compressed air and hit all the nooks and crannies, then fired the engine and let it idle while I washed the exterior and had no issues.

The bay looks cleaner but I look to hit it again with something a little more potent as I want things like the weather packed connectors and coil packs to look clean and brand new.

I did talk with a LS1tech Moderator on the phone last night and he asked me about the fears of having engine issues after spraying and I said I did not and would not fear that happening. I just did not go out of my way to wash down the PCM but a little water did hit it but that is what the compressed air is for.

I have a 2000 Buick Century that has never had the engine bay done, my next project with the 2nd half of the bottle will be next.

Aside from doing this on a LT1, I would not fear doing this job on any car.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool, pics?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whitdog54
cool, pics?
I can take one tonight.

Generally this is what it looked like before.

I know it looks clean but its not perfect, I was looking to get the aluminum (see 2nd pic, left hand side valve cover/cyl head) to have that freshened up look.

What I general do after a wash and set up for a car show is hit all the black plastics with tire shine to give that deep, wet look.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:14 AM
11 Second Club

I wash engine bays regularly with a VERY high strength degreaser and a very high pressure Hotsy. Only had one problem so far out of the 100+ times I've done it, and it was a ford coil going bad.

Strong cleaning, blow out with compressed air, and the engine will dry the rest.

I need to do it on my new car badly!
Old 10-23-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

I like to have the engine slightly warm (but not hot), spray with degreaser/APC, agitate thoroughly with a brush, and rinse. Once clean and mostly dry, I apply a water-based dressing and let the motor run for a few minutes to dry and set. Hit it with a microfiber to even everything out, and call it good.

I also cover the alternator and PCM with plastic to avoid damage.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

just be careful and use common sense and your parts will be fine. then if you take a damp rag with some speed shine and wipe everything down every couple of weeks, you will never have to wash it again.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont get it the pictures are of an LS1? I spray the **** outa my my motor every time i wash my car, no problems

Quick Reply: Pressure Washed Engine Bay