Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kind of worried about this one

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kind of worried about this one

So I'm on the highway to go to work today and come up on some construction. Traffic is going like 15 mph and its rainy outside. So I'm coming up on this giant bump ahead and I slow way down in an effort to not destory my front bumper. When I hit the bump the car just shut off! Its been doing this to me sometimes when I start it up in the mornings. There is a shitload of cars right on my back bumper so I panic. Going probably 10 mph I do something stupid and put the car in park so I could restart the car. Right after doing this I hear a loud clacking sound and I hurry up and move it back to D. I then stop the car and restart it and drive the rest of the way to work.

So far no problems shifting or any weird noises that werent already there. Think I did any damage?

97 Z28 A4 94k miles
Old 10-30-2009, 03:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Not likley, What you heard was the park paw clacking in and out of the teeth but in most cases it will cause no damage.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-30-2009, 06:27 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When this happens you should be able to start your car in the neutral position while still rolling. I would probably look at all of your ground wires. It sounds like you have a loose one that when you hit a bump it looses it's connection. Probably one that is attached to engine block would be my guess. Vince
Old 10-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Not likley, What you heard was the park paw clacking in and out of the teeth but in most cases it will cause no damage.
Yeah thats probably what it was. It was LOUD and scared the **** out of me. I was afraid I did some big damage. But once I started it and drove it I didnt hear any noises. Seemed to drive normal on the way home tonight. I hope there isnt any damage.

I will check all the ground wires to look for a short. The car has been starting up and dying on me intermittently lately. I think the fuel pump is on its way out.