Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Build, still burns oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default New Build, still burns oil ?

I have over 7K miles on my new build ( see sig. below) and I am still burning 1 qt every 2K. I can not see any blue smoke when running however, on a down shift I was told that it smoked. IE; at WOT up to 5K RPM I let off and road it back down and I saw some smoke in the rear view.
Hoping its not related to rings not setting in yet ( or never will), but rather something to do with the intake build up ?? Help me out as I am not sure of the physics of the oil in the intake. ( no catch can )

Patrick
Old 10-31-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get a catch can, that should determine the source of the oil in your intake. If oil still accumulates in your intake after that, it's not your pcv. 1 quart every 2k miles really isn't that bad...probably is your pcv.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not trying to hijack but i'm having the same problem with running my car up towards redline then letting it coast back down the rpm range and smoke starts coming out. all emissions equipment have been deleted so is that the problem??? i have a bbk intake, pc 2.5 ls6 heads, tsp torquer 2 cam, long tubes, off road y.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start by checking your PCV setup. Look in the TB and intake and see if there is oil sitting in the bottom of the intake. If so, you need to add a catch can and more breathing to the motor. This will help it stop consuming oil. Also, check your intake rocker bolts to make sure they have some kind of sealant on them. Oil can run down the threads and into the intake runner. Let me know if we can help with anything!

Jon
Old 11-03-2009, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, I will have the intake out in a few weeks. Will be sure to check. After the catch can how can I get the engine to breath ?