Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

1500 mile trip, rear end making small whine

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1500 mile trip, rear end making small whine

So I'm in desperation at this point guys but I really needed to get some advice on this before anything. In 2 weeks I am heading from Columbia, SC to Minneapolis, MN in my car after being stationed down here for awhile. Lately I've been noticing that the rear end seems to make a small whine when the car is idle. I can then hear it get a little louder as the RPM's go up and then its all but silent when I actually hit the 45ish+ MPH (not sure if that is because of the exhaust or what). I haven't been able to check the fluid level yet, but my question is if I refill the fluid should I at least be able to get the car back up to Minnesota so I can actually install a 12-bolt? Or would it better to just get the thing completely looked at and if it is determined it needs a new ring & pinion, or anything else just do it that way? Guess I just don't want to fork $1k+ into something that will get replaced in like 2 weeks.

Car has bolt ons but nothing hardcore, hasn't seen the track at all, and hasn't had any hard launches in quite some time. Just getting up there in age (64k miles).

Suggestions/Tips/anything??

Old 11-04-2009, 05:37 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd drain and replace the gear lube and look for an abnormal amount of metallic particles in the gear oil. More than likely you'll be okay. You did mention noise at idle, which would not be from the rear, perhaps from something such as the exhaust rubbing the rear, etc. I'd get it up in the air and check it all out. Bob
Old 11-04-2009, 05:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I'd drain and replace the gear lube and look for an abnormal amount of metallic particles in the gear oil. More than likely you'll be okay. You did mention noise at idle, which would not be from the rear, perhaps from something such as the exhaust rubbing the rear, etc. I'd get it up in the air and check it all out. Bob
Thanks so much Bob I have to take it to my buddies place to get the oil changed (and he normally does all the other fluids as well for me) so I'll def. be on the lookout for it.