Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Hot side Fab Construction questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hot side Fab Construction questions

I have been watching a lot of build threads recently and I notice most guys have unequal pipe length coming from the manifolds to the turbo. Is it better to have equal-ish length or are there no ill affects of have one side longer than the other? I would imagine the pressure would equalize in them prior to the turbo, at the merge point, but thought I would ask.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

no gurus?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

my opinion.... I dont think scavenging is too big of a deal, your not trying to vacate the exhaust from the heads as fast as possible like you would naturally aspirated....so header tube length is totally irrelevant. Having 2 different length pipes all in an enclosed system creating pressure would do the same thing as equal ones....it all goes to the same place....through a hole smaller than all the tubes combined, so the perfect merge is also kinda irrelevant. The only significance with pipe length would be the longer they are the more volume they have and the longer it takes to pressure up. Will 4 pipes all different lengths merging together all power a turbo different than 4 equal length ones? I dont think so at all. Making all the pipes the same, having to make some longer, I would think by increasing the volume of piping you would make it spool up slower.... But I would think milliseconds....nothing any normal person could measure or tell. Now if you were racing formula 1 where your on and off the gas, maybe its worth those milliseconds??
...just my opinion, i could be wrong?

Last edited by pwrtrip75; 11-10-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with you. I want to have the shortest distance possible b/w the CC and the turbo, mostly for backpressure, so I can that stuff out at high RPMs.

Anyone else agree or disagree?

Quick Reply: Hot side Fab Construction questions